MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-03-2003, 04:37 AM   #1
-viscid-01-GT-
Registered Member

Lightbulb Check Engine light

Hello. About 2 months ago, i hydroplaned on the freeway doing 90 in the fast lane on somewhat bald 255/40 tires. All that happened was it pulled me into the center divider of the highway, which is gravel dirt rocks grass bushes that sort. I was able to slow down without losing control, but i came to a stop on a rock which banged up my cats. a bit. Nothing else happened. about 2 1/2 weeks later i make my custom ram- air intake, which works fine. There were no problems until about 2 days ago when my check enginge light came on. I know this is an emission problem, but out of nowhere it came on. Should I replace my cats. take out the ram air, or could it be som alterior reason for causing it? Thank you for input!!!
-viscid-01-GT- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:41 AM   #2
stangt00
Registered Member

Heres a few things that you can do. To start with, you can check for diagnostic trouble codes by doing the following:

Press and hold the odometer/trip reset button down, dont let go.
Then, turn to key to the acc position without starting the car. After a few seconds, your gauge cluster will light up and go through a self test. Now, you can let go of the reset button. Push the button to go through all the steps. You will eventually get to the dtc section. If you pass it, you can just go through the whole thing again until you get back to it. You will know your there when you see dtc with numbers after it. Write down whatever codes you got and call either a dealership, or performance shop and ask them to look up your codes. Also, check out Mustang World site. They have a section with a small list of dtc's there and a section with these same steps with pics you can print out.

Second. How many miles are on the car? Sometimes that light will come on after a certain milage so that you have to bring it to the dealership. Then they usually tell you that you need this and that service done to it. What you could do is just reset the computer by disconnecting the negative ternminal from the battery and leaving it disconnected for about 5 mins. Some people will say you only need to so it for a few secs, some will say longer. Whatever the case may be, it's something to try. After you reconnect it, drive the car. Usually within about 50 miles if you had a problem, the light would come back on.'

Just something to try. Good luck.
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.

Last edited by stangt00; 02-03-2003 at 07:47 AM..
stangt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:27 PM   #3
-viscid-01-GT-
Registered Member

Thank you I am going to go and try this right now!
Old 02-03-2003, 03:15 PM   #4
-viscid-01-GT-
Registered Member

I got the DTC code number [ 5284 ] but could not find the list of codes you were talking about at mustang world. IS there another list?
Old 02-03-2003, 03:26 PM   #5
stangt00
Registered Member

That dtc is for the oil pressure switch. It almost always shows up. If that was the only code you got, then go ahead with resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery terminal. This should clear the check engine light. If it comes back on, then you may need to take it to the dealership for further troubleshooting
80mm Pro-M mass air, 24lb injectors, 75mm BBK T/B, K&N Filter Cold Air, 1/2" Phenolic intake spacer, Underdrive Pulleys, Dyno Tuned Autologic Chip, FMS Shorty Headers, Mac Prochamber 2 1/2" Off Road H pipe, 2 Chamber Flowmasters,
Steeda lowering springs. Steeda Tri-Ax Short Throw shifter, Steeda Power slot rotors w/ Hawk Pro pads, 3.73 FRP Gears. Headwork and Comp cams install in progress.
stangt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 04:27 PM   #6
-viscid-01-GT-
Registered Member

I disconnected my battery and it went away. I hope it stays away tho. Ty for your help!