MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Modular Madness (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Check Engine light (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=33649)

-viscid-01-GT- 02-03-2003 04:37 AM

Check Engine light

Hello. About 2 months ago, i hydroplaned on the freeway doing 90 in the fast lane on somewhat bald 255/40 tires. All that happened was it pulled me into the center divider of the highway, which is gravel dirt rocks grass bushes that sort. I was able to slow down without losing control, but i came to a stop on a rock which banged up my cats. a bit. Nothing else happened. about 2 1/2 weeks later i make my custom ram- air intake, which works fine. There were no problems until about 2 days ago when my check enginge light came on. I know this is an emission problem, but out of nowhere it came on. Should I replace my cats. take out the ram air, or could it be som alterior reason for causing it? Thank you for input!!!

stangt00 02-03-2003 07:41 AM

Heres a few things that you can do. To start with, you can check for diagnostic trouble codes by doing the following:

Press and hold the odometer/trip reset button down, dont let go.
Then, turn to key to the acc position without starting the car. After a few seconds, your gauge cluster will light up and go through a self test. Now, you can let go of the reset button. Push the button to go through all the steps. You will eventually get to the dtc section. If you pass it, you can just go through the whole thing again until you get back to it. You will know your there when you see dtc with numbers after it. Write down whatever codes you got and call either a dealership, or performance shop and ask them to look up your codes. Also, check out Mustang World site. They have a section with a small list of dtc's there and a section with these same steps with pics you can print out.

Second. How many miles are on the car? Sometimes that light will come on after a certain milage so that you have to bring it to the dealership. Then they usually tell you that you need this and that service done to it. What you could do is just reset the computer by disconnecting the negative ternminal from the battery and leaving it disconnected for about 5 mins. Some people will say you only need to so it for a few secs, some will say longer. Whatever the case may be, it's something to try. After you reconnect it, drive the car. Usually within about 50 miles if you had a problem, the light would come back on.'

Just something to try. Good luck.

-viscid-01-GT- 02-03-2003 02:27 PM

Thank you I am going to go and try this right now!

-viscid-01-GT- 02-03-2003 03:15 PM

I got the DTC code number [ 5284 ] but could not find the list of codes you were talking about at mustang world. IS there another list?

stangt00 02-03-2003 03:26 PM

That dtc is for the oil pressure switch. It almost always shows up. If that was the only code you got, then go ahead with resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery terminal. This should clear the check engine light. If it comes back on, then you may need to take it to the dealership for further troubleshooting

-viscid-01-GT- 02-05-2003 04:27 PM

I disconnected my battery and it went away. I hope it stays away tho. Ty for your help!