MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-13-2002, 10:32 PM   #1
CinciCobra
Registered Member

Default Got A Miss ????????

Hello everyone - new to the board... first time caller, long time listener......yeah whatever. I need some technical advice or brainstorming from smarter people than myself.

I have a '98 Cobra that is equipped w/ an ati procharger dcs-1 and the 3 core intercooler. I have had it for 10000 miles now and currently have 23000 on the car. I developed what feels like a miss last week, then the next morning I went out to trouble shoot it and it was gone. I drove it to work the next day and no problems through lunch. I got in it to go home and it reappeared. So I changed the plugs - it goes through em pretty damn quick, and it is a little better but still present. It has a backfire popping noise when revved, no power compared to the normal *** launching experience, and almost vibrates as 60 mph in fifth. As redneck and backwoods as it is, it also has a noticeable different exhaust beat out of the right pipe, kind of a blub blub blub as opposed to the grrrr that she always talks to me in. Christ it is late - I am sounding like an idiot here! Anyway, the left pipe sound totally normal. The fuel pressure is normal at 35 - 40 lbs w/ 30 lb injectors ( measure just before the fuel rails ). I am gonna pull the new plugs tommorrow and see what they tell me but I am thinking it may be a fried plug wire on the jacobs ignition. Any ideas friends? Thanks and sorry it is a little long.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:01 AM   #2
96GTPRT
Registered Member

My friend has a Pontiac GTP that had the exact same symptoms, except for the exhaust sound. (We never listened for that.) Anyway, it turned out to be a bad plug wire, and he replaced the them all with Taylor racing wires and the problem has never come back.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 01:32 AM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wires and ignition would be my first suspects...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:49 AM   #4
wally6761
Registered Member

make sure you're getting the correct current amounts coming from the coils. make sure you don't have a bad wire too. you don't want the coil packs damaged b/c of a bad wire.
wally6761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 12:04 PM   #5
southernstang97

Default plugs etc.....

Just like what hammer had to say , i would check there and sure you will find that will be the problem !!!

Do you have a msd dis-4 ignition , and if not I would go out and get one ASAP. Or a ignition that is as good as the msd !!! It is designed to work on the 4.6l engine that are blown or have juice.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:40 AM   #6
CinciCobra
Registered Member

Default Re: plugs etc.....

Quote:
Originally posted by southernstang97
Just like what hammer had to say , i would check there and sure you will find that will be the problem !!!

Do you have a msd dis-4 ignition , and if not I would go out and get one ASAP. Or a ignition that is as good as the msd !!! It is designed to work on the 4.6l engine that are blown or have juice.
I am running a Jacobs DIS - a tech at ATI suggested it as he runs it on his cobra with the exact same blower set up. It is an excellent combo.

I checked all of the plug wires and they are carrying voltage just fine, and after I replaced the plugs AGAIN, I pulled them and found two cylinders were weird. One the plug was totally fouled and the other was wet with gas. I am starting to think my injectors are sticking or not getting the correct voltage. Anyone know what exactly they should be getting?