MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-28-2002, 11:44 PM   #1
MineralGray02K
Registered Member

Default Check engine light after steeda pullies / timing adjuster!! HELP!!

The steeda pullies and timing adjuster were installed tonight and it seemed as though no problems whatsoever...Drove it for a few miles, ran great...Drove it more, and the check engine light started to flash, then turned off for a little while...then came started to flash again, then turned off...While driving more, it turned on, this time STEADY, not flashing...It's been on since, but sometimes it flashes, and when it flashes i feel a suddon jolt of loss of power, sort of like bucking...While lookign at the timing adjuster. I noticed that the magnetic sensor sits REALLY close to the timing adjuster itself, and now on the blue part of the timing adjuster, I see it is worn down in 2 spots, maybe because the timing adjuster is rubbing it in those 2 spots? Maybe the timing adjuster isn't a perfect circle? I first had the timing to 12 degrees with 89 octane, then the light turned on so i turned it back down to 10 degrees, but the problem still happends...

If anybody knows anything please help me, I am very worried because now warrantee is voided...Tommarow morning i'm taking off the timing adjuster and sending it back to steeda, and reseting the ECU at my local shop. Is there a way to reset the ECU myself w/o bringing it in? Thanks!!!

Mustang Write Ups
MineralGray02K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 01:11 AM   #2
MineralGray02K
Registered Member

Okay think it's fixed...

I disconnected the battery for a good few minutes, then put it back on, and the light was off...so I figured it would turn back in in a little bit...drove it for an hour, let it idle for 20 of those min, had the timing at 10 degrees, and no light...car goes like a rapped ape. I'm thinking it's because I didn't do one very important step in the directions...the first step! DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!! I know the computers on these cars are like little babies, they are sensative to anything, so i'm thinking it probably detected the sensor was off, hence turning on the check engine light, and most likely noticed the timing was off, so retarded the timing, thus flashing the check engine light...After I put on the pullies, set the timing to 12 degrees, then took it for a ride, about 5 - 10 min after driving is when the check engine light came on...now I was just driving the car for an hour, and nothing, and it runs REALLY well, so i'm thinking it was the sensor. What do you guys think?!

Mustang Write Ups
MineralGray02K is offline   Reply With Quote