MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
erikhunt
2003 GT

Default "check fuel cap" warning light

My "check fuel cap" warning light just came on today, it's in and seems to be functioning correctly. any ideas of what i can check to see if anything needs fixing?
erikhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
erikhunt
2003 GT

Default Re: "check fuel cap" warning light

put a new gas cap on last night, no result.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
texasrider4u
Registered Member

Yeah Mine did it today on the highway, I got out and checked it, it was in and I screwed it in and out a few times. I finished driving to my friends house and turned off the engine and worked on it some more, but I couldn't fix it. When I got home I did some more work and I found out that this little piece of metal that goes down and shuts off the sensor had broken off because it was worn out after the cap had been screwed in so much. So my advice is to try to live with it, because it will be really expensive to fix.
texasrider4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
redgogo
Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: "check fuel cap" warning light

Been there done that! Your gonna have to go to your ford dealer and have them reset the computer! it may sound like a "big deal" but it only takes them about 5 minutes. what happened is that your cap didn't seat when you put it back-on, and it sucked-in air...the computer sensed it and now your "check fuel cap" light comes-on. Just take it in, your warranty covers it!
redgogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
erikhunt
2003 GT

Arrow Re: "check fuel cap" warning light

Thanks for the replies.

Took it to a dealer and they reset the computer, it came back on a week later, took it back and they found that the charcoal solenoid that effects emissions control was damaged, it was located directly behind the left rear bumper benind that tire. cost $220 to fix it but the warning light has stayed off for 3 weeks now. not happy about the price but happy my car is happy.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
texasrider4u
Registered Member

Yeah mine is that same solenoid, and the vapor management valve, but the price tag on mine was $500, so we are going to fix it ourselves, the dealership said it didn't really effect anything but gas mileage.
texasrider4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: