MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2004, 10:39 PM   #1
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Chip Vs. Programmer

For those who are interested in purchasing a chip or a programmer and are not sure which way to go, I thought I would put some useful info together. This way, you can answer the question: "which option is best for me?"

CHIP:

Installation: A chip is manually installed into the car's ECU. I personally think it is a pain in the arse as it is time consuming and difficult to clean the ECU terminals. Give yourself 60 - 120 minutes especially if it is your first time. (DISADVANTAGE)

Warrenty: As soon as the chip is installed, say goodbye to the warrenty (if you care). While the chip does not set-off a buzzer, as soon as Ford figures out that it is there or WAS there, most warrenty repairs will be voided. (DISADVANTAGE)

Results: Depends on programmer where the chip was purchased. Chips lack a code reader function. (DISADVANTAGE)

Multiple tunes: Chips can generally have one, two, three, or four programs. Chips with multiple programs will have a switch associated with them. This might allow the user to have a performance tune, 87 octane tune, and a nitrous tune as an example. Chips with more tunes, cost more money.(SAME)

Cost: $200 - $500 depending on the number of tunes, brand used, and retailer. (SAME)

Ability to reprogram: Chips can easily be reburned as a car is modified. However, the chip must be removed and generally mailed to the retailer. This results in delays and you will nopt be able to have the tune to use while you are waiting. This can take a few days to many weeks depending on backlog and difficulty of tune required. In some cases, you can burn the chip yourself with an emailed tune or one downloaded from the internet if you have the right hardware. This adds to cost (DISADVANTAGE).

Ability to switch between tunes on the car: A multiple tune chip can be changed in seconds simply by switching the position of the toggle switch. However, the car must be off and then restarted. This is very convenient. (ADVANTAGE)

Emissions: If the car is equipped with an obd scan for emissions, it will most likely fail (DISADVANTAGE).

PROGRAMMER:

Installation: None required, per se. The programmer is simply attached to a port connection on the driver side below the steering column. The programmer is plugged in, and the tune is downloaded from the programmer to the car in about 3 minutes. Caution is needed, since if the programmer is interrupted while downloading (cable gets pulled), then the car is out of service until the programmer can be returned to the retailer. Also, the correct fuel system fuse MUST be pulled before programming. This is an added, but simple step, but can be a huge problem if you forget to do it. (ADVANTAGE)

Warrenty: Since there is no chip, the programmer will store the stock tune when the performance tune is downloaded. This allows the stock tune to be returned to the car when needed. This can be done before warrenty service. There is no evidence that the car was ever re-programmed, so warrenty problems can be avoided.(ADVANTAGE)

Results: Depends on program. However, these devices also double as a code reader which is a useful feature.(ADVANTAGE)

Multiple Tunes: Simple programmers will have one tune. Some (like SCT) can store 4 tunes including stock.(SAME)

Cost: $350 - $425 (SAME)

Ability to re-program: Programmers can be mailed back to the retailer to have tunes changed for different mods. While doing this, you can still drive the car with the performance tune. This feature can avoid a lot of downtime in certain situations. Also, tunes can be emailed to the customer. This si a very simple process and only requires about a $75 expense for additional hardware.(ADVATAGE)

Ability to switch between tunes on the car: This is a simple function, but can not be done at a stoplight like with a chip. Task takes about 3-4 minutes total.(DISADVANTAGE)

Emissions: If car is equipped with obd scan for emissions, it will still pass even with 02 sensors turned-off if o/r x pipe is in place. (ADVANTAGE)

As you can see, programmers generally are better, however, if you need to change tunes a lot especially while at the track, a multiple program chip may be the way to go.

I hope this is useful.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)

Last edited by xxxBlakexxx; 08-31-2004 at 02:27 PM..
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
ac97gt
Registered Member

I knew almost nothing about chips or programmers, and this post was very helpful. Thanks alot blake. A programmer seems like a useful tool to have around if you plan to be modding, but is there any advantage to having one for a stock car (well, exhaust only)? I know there are better mods for the price (like gears), but I'm just wondering what advantages, if any, there are for a stock car.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

On a stock car ('99+ GT at least, not sure on other stangs) the tune should be pretty dead on so you wouldn't see much gain from that based on a magazine article I read where they tuned a stock car and got nothing extra. However, a chip or programmer will allow you to bump the timing for a little extra power (this will necessitate running higher octane gas though).
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:55 PM   #4
explicitone
Registered Member

dont forget this one

chip
-------
if your car has obd scan for emissions it will fail

programmer
--------------
obd emissions will pass and can have rear o2s turned off for off road mid pipes and still pass the e-test

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:22 PM   #5
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Thanks guys for the added insight! I forgot those items. I will edit the intial post. I thought this might be a helpful tool for many to use.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 09-01-2004, 05:45 AM   #6
urstangsmoke
Addict

yeah really thanks a lot for the info, i was all set to get a chip, that just definitely changed my mind. sct it is
Old 09-01-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
4.6LitreGT
Registered Member

i just got my diablo predator tuner, and with the basic performance tune on it i gained 2 tenths and 1.5 mph in the 1/4

overall the car feels smoother and pulls stronger especially down low, where the 4.6 is lacking.

going to the dyno at the end of this month so hoepfully i can mess with a couple things and get a little more out of it.
Accufab 75mm TB, C&L Upper Plenum, FRPP 4.10s, Hurst Billit Shifter Plus, UPR Off-Road X-Pipe, Magnaflow SS Catback, K&N FIPK II, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler and Grill Delete. Diablo Predator, 2003 Cobra Wheels

Best Pass 13.75 @101.24
4.6LitreGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:55 PM   #8
chiaronate
Registered Member

hey 4.6litregt, did you run at the track when your car was completely stock? if so, what was the e.t.? was it corrected for elevation?

current performance mods:
80mm pro-m with filter
c&l plenum
mac 70mm throttle body
mac underdrive pulleys
pro 5.0 shifter
3.90 gears
dynomax super turbo mufflers
diablosport predator programmer

future performance mods:
x-pipe with converters
chiaronate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:20 AM   #9
4.6LitreGT
Registered Member

unfortunately i never ran it bone stock. the closest to stock was 4.10s and x-pipe flows and a shifter, but i had bad MAF and it went 14.02

put a good MAF and TB AND plenum on and immediatly went 13.75.

the mass air i got was out of a 99 though, and they are differnt. the 99-00 or 01 had the IAT sensor up further in the intake tube, but on the 02 and newer its built into the MAF so i'm rnning with out an IAT right now.

with all my mods i went 13.56, but i still need a good MAF
Accufab 75mm TB, C&L Upper Plenum, FRPP 4.10s, Hurst Billit Shifter Plus, UPR Off-Road X-Pipe, Magnaflow SS Catback, K&N FIPK II, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler and Grill Delete. Diablo Predator, 2003 Cobra Wheels

Best Pass 13.75 @101.24
4.6LitreGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:23 PM   #10
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Default Re: Chip Vs. Programmer

For most applications, especially if you're somewhat near stock, programmers are a good deal, but if you go to heavy modding, nothing beats a dyno-tune with a multiple program chip...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:34 AM   #11
Randy@ART
Registered Member

This is a great post...and Hammer is correct. Some "bolt-on" mods are not worth the cash for a custom tune, but some "bolt-on" mods are in a gray area. Installing an aftermarket MAF will pick you up some HP, but the same MAF tuned in will gain not only greater results in HP but retain the smooth cruising ability. In my opinion all cars should be on a dyno when having the OEM program altered.

The flasher is a great tuning tool for the end user, but has some limitations even with a custom tune to start with. Say like I tune your 281 stage2 cam off road exhaust 80mm PromMAF stang. You have a custom base file to play with with the flasher, say you add a upper plenum and a set of 3.73 gears....you are good to go since you have your flasher Now...if you want to upgrade to larger injectors 90mm MAF 9# blower or maybe stroke the motor you would be looking at a new custom tuned base file...just like the old pain staking reburn.

Big pro of any flasher is less install time and the OBD-II feedback!

I would strongly recommend NOT getting a custom chip on a stock app. unless is is an AODE car...no gain in HP, but I have had cars pick up 2.5 tens in the 1/4 buy changing pressures and lock-up.

Warmest Regards,
Randy@ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:53 PM   #12
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments Randy!

My Stang:
Old 11-16-2004, 07:40 PM   #13
stacy's stang
Registered Member

Ok, I want to get my husband a programmer for his '04 mach 1 for christmas. So I need your help on where to get this and which one is the best. He only has a few mods so I don't know how customized I have to get with the choice. He put in a new shift kit and magnapak catbacks. We've tried to minimize his changes because of the warranty, which is why I want the programmer vs the chip. Any suggestions?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #14
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Stacy:

What a great wife!

You have quite a few options. The two that I would recomend are the Diablo Preditor and the SCT Hand-held "Flash" Tuner. These are the most capable and the most popular.

SCT:
Arguably designed for the more serious owner. Better customer support. Can store upto 3 custom programs, which allows the user to have separate tunes for things like nitrous and different octane fuel. When you want to make program changes for even simple things like gears, you have to mail it back to an SCT dealer or have them email a tune to you. The additional tunes cost about $75.00. This is a use and forget device. There is no owner intervention with the unit.

Diablo:
Can only have one custom tune. Allows for the owner to interface with the unit. More fun to use. Gives the owner options to change some elements of the tune by himself. Critics of the unit believe that Diablo overstates the adjustments that can be made. In relaity, they are not much, but they are there. Unit looks prettier than the SCT and has a nicer screen.

They both cost about $400. For the SCT, I would buy at www.modulardepot.com. Some of the guys who would be programming the device have some of the fastest Mustangs on the planet. This is a device that can really grow with the user if he ever gets into serious mods.

SCT also has a new X-Calibrator that sell for $375. It is not much different except that it can download the tune in less than a minute instead of taking four minutes. This is a nice feature for those that switch programs all the time.

Stacey, I have had a Diablo Chip, Superchips Tuner, SCT Tuner, and soon I will be getting an SCT 4 Position Chip. The first two I returned and got refunded. I am trading my current SCT tuner for the 4 position chip. The reason is that the chip will allow me to switch back and forth between n/a and nitrous on the fly w/o having to download a new program. I simply only have to change a dial. You see, sometimes your goals changes as the car grows with you.

Based on you original question, it seems like the Diablo pred. might be the best fit for him.

My Stang:
Old 11-17-2004, 08:12 PM   #15
stacy's stang
Registered Member

Cool! So where do I get the Diablo? Diablo.com? I have tons of catalogs, but am so brain dead tonight I don't feel like thumbing thru them. I'm going to a swap meet in Moultrie GA this weekend. Last year they had tons of stuff new and used, but of course I wasn't looking for programmers then. I guess if there's no dealer there I'll come back and order it on-line.
Thanks for the advice!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #16
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Stacy: This si where I would go:

http://www.partshopper.com/fordmustang/items.asp?CartId={C1DB25C6-70B4-4A76-AD71-CEVEREST822D8C5BAD3}&Mc=DIABLO

I would buy only new and from a dealer if you get one of these. Diablo has stated publically that they DO NOT support these units for upgrades if you did not buy from a dealer.

My Stang:
Old 11-18-2004, 07:36 AM   #17
Randy@ART
Registered Member

Hi Stacy, I would be hesitant to buy any programmer used. If there is a Diablo dealer there....it's cool! I personally would suggest going to <http://www.diablosport.com/OurDealers.php> and doing a search for a dealer near you. This way if there is a problem it will be easier to have the unit replaced.

Regards,
Randy@ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:53 PM   #18
stacy's stang
Registered Member

Thanks Guys! I ordered the Diablo programmer last night. It was on sale from partshopper.com too! I hope he is suprised but he is so spoiled, he may not be. I keep telling him I don't think it is a good idea because of the warranty issue. I acted too nonchalant about his tires and rims and he went ahead and ordered them last week so I was back to square one. I could have killed him, but at least I got off alot cheaper this way! lol
Old 12-30-2004, 06:03 PM   #19
stacy's stang
Registered Member

Well guys, we got the Diablo Predator installed and the gas mileage increased immediately! What a great side effect. We had to order a serial cable to upload the more recent version and then will try to customize the settings. I also bought him a cold air infusion system and he was pretty suprised and happy.
He tinted my windows and bought a chin spoiler my car. All I need now is a light bar and the racing pedals and I'll be good to go!
Thanks for all the advice!!!