View Single Post
Old 11-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #14
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Re: Chip Vs. Programmer

Stacy:

What a great wife!

You have quite a few options. The two that I would recomend are the Diablo Preditor and the SCT Hand-held "Flash" Tuner. These are the most capable and the most popular.

SCT:
Arguably designed for the more serious owner. Better customer support. Can store upto 3 custom programs, which allows the user to have separate tunes for things like nitrous and different octane fuel. When you want to make program changes for even simple things like gears, you have to mail it back to an SCT dealer or have them email a tune to you. The additional tunes cost about $75.00. This is a use and forget device. There is no owner intervention with the unit.

Diablo:
Can only have one custom tune. Allows for the owner to interface with the unit. More fun to use. Gives the owner options to change some elements of the tune by himself. Critics of the unit believe that Diablo overstates the adjustments that can be made. In relaity, they are not much, but they are there. Unit looks prettier than the SCT and has a nicer screen.

They both cost about $400. For the SCT, I would buy at www.modulardepot.com. Some of the guys who would be programming the device have some of the fastest Mustangs on the planet. This is a device that can really grow with the user if he ever gets into serious mods.

SCT also has a new X-Calibrator that sell for $375. It is not much different except that it can download the tune in less than a minute instead of taking four minutes. This is a nice feature for those that switch programs all the time.

Stacey, I have had a Diablo Chip, Superchips Tuner, SCT Tuner, and soon I will be getting an SCT 4 Position Chip. The first two I returned and got refunded. I am trading my current SCT tuner for the 4 position chip. The reason is that the chip will allow me to switch back and forth between n/a and nitrous on the fly w/o having to download a new program. I simply only have to change a dial. You see, sometimes your goals changes as the car grows with you.

Based on you original question, it seems like the Diablo pred. might be the best fit for him.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote