MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-28-2001, 11:33 AM   #1
#1 Pony
Registered Member

Question Chips, turbo & supercharged.

Do many people have computer chips in their cars? Are they good?

I'm fairly new here, and new to the car world and I know very little about cars and different components. I'm trying my best to learn... now that was a disclaimer to the following question: Can you have a supercharged Turbo Stang?
I have a feeling the answer is no because they both have to be hooked up around the same area.. I don't know.

Plus since most of us are on the topic of nitrous.. you can have both nitrous and turbo on a car, right?

Please pardon my foolishness...
#1 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 12:05 PM   #2
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Depends all chips are different. Custom burned on a dyno is the best. My car lost power going route where as other identical cars have gained. It all depends on how the factory tune is. There are a bunch of difference computer codes out there.

Can you have turbo and supercharger yes would it be practical no. Turbo works off of the exhaust gases and forces air into the motor. Supercharger is driven by the crank shaft and forces air into the motor. Turbos are more effecient because of no parasitic drag on the motor but there are very few kits out there avialable for our cars. I believe TDC has a turbo kit but they have yet to ship an actual kit just yet. Another is Incon again nothing actually on the market. Superchargers there are a bunch of companies out there.

Yes you can use nitrous on a turbo car, a small shot of nitrous has an intercooling effect on the warmer air forced out of the turbo. This however takes tuning to get it correct, not very simple to set up. Same thing goes for a supercharger except with an inter or after cooler on a supercharger kit it wouldn't be as effective.

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys & Timing Adjuster, 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR Pro Series LCA’s, Lakewood 70/30’s & 50/50’s, Weld Pro Stars, Kaenen Cobra R Hood, 253.8 RWHP/292.8RWTQ
12.91@101.93 (1.74 60ft)
M/M 100, 7085
Recent Pic from Moroso
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 01:18 PM   #3
#1 Pony
Registered Member

I was reading in the archives about Turboed cars.
Someone stated (forgive me for not rememebering names) that driving a turboed Mustang has a rubber band effect.
Meaning that they just take off or they hold back at first and then take off?
I would like to understand this more.

Plus you have to be extra careful when driving a turbo car with 800+ hp, right. They migt just take off. How is daily driving in a Turboed car?
Does anyone know? I know turbocharging a mustang is one of the most expensive things to do, but isn't worth it? You can go from a 13-14 to a 7-9 car? But I believe you have to factor in handleing and stablity.
Why don't more people turbocharge their cars?

Here's one of my biggest questions..
Once you turbo your mustang.. how many more mods can you put on it?
Meaning if I turboed a car that would restrict my moding over having a NA car.
#1 Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 02:19 PM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by #1 Pony:
I was reading in the archives about Turboed cars.
Someone stated (forgive me for not rememebering names) that driving a turboed Mustang has a rubber band effect.
Meaning that they just take off or they hold back at first and then take off?
I would like to understand this more. .
First, this is called Turbo Lag. It takes some time for the exhaust gases to get the turbines of the Turbo up to speed. And once they kick in...you have power.

Quote:
Plus you have to be extra careful when driving a turbo car with 800+ hp, right. They migt just take off. How is daily driving in a Turboed car?
Does anyone know? .
I've never driven a Turbo charged V8, but I bet it would be fun . I'm sure like many mods, the Turbo Charger will not make your car a bad daily driver, just don't drive it in bad weather and you'll be OK.

Don't worry about 800+ HP, because you are not going to get there very easily, a Turbo doesn't just add 500 or 600 HP alone! You have to do other things to get that fast.

Quote:

I know turbocharging a mustang is one of the most expensive things to do, but isn't worth it? You can go from a 13-14 to a 7-9 car? But I believe you have to factor in handleing and stablity.
Why don't more people turbocharge their cars?.
Yes a Turbo is expensive, but you are not going to be running 7-9's with a turbo set up! Like I said before, there is a hell of a lot more you have to get to do before you can run those kinds of numbers. You would more likey be in the 12's or 11's with a Turbo set up (or lower depending on the set up).

People Supercharge their cars because there is a better variety of Blowers on the market, and they are cheaper. I think people generally know more about blowers than turbos. The guys that do know Turbos, seem to be able to pull some good times, however.

Quote:
Here's one of my biggest questions..
Once you turbo your mustang.. how many more mods can you put on it?
Meaning if I turboed a car that would restrict my moding over having a NA car.
You can still swap heads, intake, cam, MAF, injectors, suspension, etc. In fact you'll have to do a lot of this to make sure the turbo works. But building a Turbo charged car is different than building a Supercharged car which is different than building an N/A car. Each runs better with certain combos and components. To find out more you'd have to talk to either a knowledgable speed shop or there are a handfull of guys here that know what they are doing.

Hope that helps answer a few questions. I don't have all the anwswers, but I'll tell you what I think

------------------
1995 Mustang GT

[This message has been edited by 95mustanggt (edited 08-30-2001).]
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 06:42 PM   #5
Turbo99GT
Registered Member

Since I have a Turbo 99 GT, I feel I should comment. I would like to say that TDC kits are available( I know because I have one and it was at Atco 2 weeks ago with it). It isn't cheap, but it is the most complete turbo system you are going to find. As far as turbolag, it's not a problem with a V8 pushing a single. The initial lag is there because I'm using a decent size turbo, but once it spools, that's it. Every gear feels like first and it hits like a N2O hit. It is well worth the money. I can make the comment coming from a V2 S-trim @ 12 psi to a TDC Stage II turbo making 388 rwhp & 427 rwtq with less than 6 psi of boost through an auto and a 3000 stall converter. The power curve is unreal and the rwhp was above 370-380 from 4600 rpms until redline. If you want to know more about the kit, shoot me an e-mail. I have pictures of the dyno run @ Atco and the turbo kit in my car.

------------------
99 Silver GT Auto
TDC Stage II Turbo
Protorque 3,000 stall TC, Transgo
Borla Cat-back, 3.73 gears
D&D tubular K, A-arms, Coil-overs, 90/10s, Mac Adj UCA/LCA

Turbo99GT is offline   Reply With Quote