MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-26-2004, 12:28 PM   #1
ac97gt
Registered Member

Default Clean your K&N!

All of you know this, but keep that sucker clean!! The cleaning kits are so cheap, and when it is clean, it makes a TON of difference, especially in hot and humid weather. I hadn't cleaned my in *way too long* and my car was doggin it (worse than normal ). I knew it was my filter but I couldn't find the time to clean it. Now that I realize just how much difference it made, I'll find time in the future. If your car is goin slow as hell and you don't know why.... check your filter.

Just thought I would remind you guys since it made such a difference to me.

Oh yeah, I'm gonna try to get back into the board a bit

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

On that note: careful when re-oilling. There are a number of people (not just Ford owners) who have blown motors because they over oil the filter. The oil then can coat the wires on the MAF, causing a bad reading and possible lean condition.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

You're not jokin about cleaning your K&N. I put mine on soon after I bought the car. I saved my old paper filter so I would have something to put in while cleaning (and drying) my K&N and when I put it in it ran better with the paper air filter in it until I put the K&N back in!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 01:40 PM   #4
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 91LX2Bfast
On that note: careful when re-oilling. There are a number of people (not just Ford owners) who have blown motors because they over oil the filter. The oil then can coat the wires on the MAF, causing a bad reading and possible lean condition.
I have never heard of that

I have heard and seem a car run like crap but never blow there motor

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:29 PM   #5
84LX89GT
Mustangs

On a daily driven vehicle (one i'd plan driving many miles) i would never own a K&N/cotton gauze filter just because of the fact that over oiling does contaminate the MAF sensor wires and because the cotton gauge filter gets dirty just as fast as a paper filter, also because it flows more air it also flows more dirt into the engine. On diesels owning a K&N filter will eventually "dust" the turbo and cause the seals to leak and the turbo looks sandblasted (Ford denies alot of warranty claims due to those filters on diesels).
MAF sensors are cleanable, but if you don't clean it, the wires could be contaminated and cause it to run lean - if you're not careful and floor it even though you hear pinging it can damage valves and pistons.
To each their own, i'd rather remove the silencer, open up the airbox opening and use a paper filter on my daily driver than have to worry about cleaning the filter and MAF sensor and getting all kinds of dirt into the engine (i drive on a lot of dusty roads).
I had a BBK fenderwell induction system on my GT and loved it, but i only drove that car 14,000 miles in 2 years.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 84LX89GT
On a daily driven vehicle (one i'd plan driving many miles) i would never own a K&N/cotton gauze filter just because of the fact that over oiling does contaminate the MAF sensor wires and because the cotton gauge filter gets dirty just as fast as a paper filter, also because it flows more air it also flows more dirt into the engine. On diesels owning a K&N filter will eventually "dust" the turbo and cause the seals to leak and the turbo looks sandblasted (Ford denies alot of warranty claims due to those filters on diesels).
MAF sensors are cleanable, but if you don't clean it, the wires could be contaminated and cause it to run lean - if you're not careful and floor it even though you hear pinging it can damage valves and pistons.
To each their own, i'd rather remove the silencer, open up the airbox opening and use a paper filter on my daily driver than have to worry about cleaning the filter and MAF sensor and getting all kinds of dirt into the engine (i drive on a lot of dusty roads).
I had a BBK fenderwell induction system on my GT and loved it, but i only drove that car 14,000 miles in 2 years.
if a k&n is properly maintained it will filter just as good as a paper filter

I have owned 4 mustangs and 2 of them hit over 160k on the motor with over 75k on one of them being with a k&N and no problems(just change your oil every 3k)

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: