MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-28-2002, 12:04 PM   #1
kmauldin
Registered Member

Question clicking @ start-up & vibration

Well, my almost bone-stock '97 GT just turned 100,000 miles a few weeks ago and there are some minor issues that have cropped up.

1) Clicking at start-up (cold): It is a rapid clicking sound that appears to be coming from under the car, around where the engine meets the trans. It lasts for about 2-3 seconds and only occurs at cold start-up. Any ideas?

2) Out of the several technical service bulletins I have found there are several on complaints of a vibration at around 62 mph that feels like it is occuring through the whole car as opposed to just the steering wheel. It appears to be a relatively common problem for 96 - 98 models and it has been a growing nusance with mine for the last several months. My mechanic has checked the tires, wheels, and drive shaft and they are ok. Anyone heard of this one or had experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your input and ideas on these issues.

from,
another proud Stang owner
'97 GT coupe; K&N, 3:73's, steeda tri-ax, Mac catted H, Mac flow-path cat-back, aluminum driveshaft, white face guages
kmauldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 02:53 PM   #2
97 Stang
Registered Member

My car has the same sound and I've been told that it's the starter. It's not "bad", but just a sign of wear and that sometime it will need to be replaced. Mecahnic told me this so that's where I'm getting this from.
BBK H-pipe
4.10 gears
97 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 12:04 PM   #3
kmauldin
Registered Member

Thanks for the info on the starter. If that is indeed the problem I will wait until it fails I guess.

Anyone have any opinions on the vibration issue??
'97 GT coupe; K&N, 3:73's, steeda tri-ax, Mac catted H, Mac flow-path cat-back, aluminum driveshaft, white face guages
Old 11-29-2002, 11:59 PM   #4
Janeofalltrades

Default Heard Driveline/Driveshaft Vibration

Hi there...

I have 98 V-6 Mustang w/AOD (95,500 miles on him) and researched this issue myself. My car has this distinctive driveline vibration at 65-68 MPH. More noticible upon deceleration than acceleration. My guess is transmission mount angle and angle of driveshaft/driveline at transmission point. Why the mid 60 MPH range vibration? No clue friend. If YOU find out more, let me know K!

The SVT Cobras and other Mustangs have encountered similar vibration issues. I try to keep him (my Stang) either above or below the vibration point. Best not to aggrevate a hidden beast.

Good Luck though.

Jennifer
aka Jane of all Trades
Old 11-30-2002, 07:47 PM   #5
kmauldin
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, Jen. The vibrartion on mine is at around same speed as yours, 62 - 68 mph, and I too try to keep it above or below that because it is starting to bug me.

I have only had this seriously investigated once and my mechanic was convenced it was the wheels/tires. They "broke down" the wheels, spun them all without tires and then again with tires and off-set any "rises." Then they spun them all again with a machine that applies about 700 lbs of load on them at the same time and adjusted acordingly. This helped for a while but, obviously, the problem has returned.

He stated he has had experiences where the harmonic balancer was the culprit, but ruled it out in my case. He also inspected the driveshaft for any dings/dents, loose universal joints, etc. and felt it was ok as well.

My next step at this point is to have him concentrate on the trans. and U-joint angles, the U-joints themselves, and faulty/loose trans. cross-member and bolts. With the holiday's coming on I don't know when that will be but I will keep you posted.

later, Kelly
Old 11-30-2002, 08:52 PM   #6
Janeofalltrades

Default Multitude of issues.

Your Welcome Kelly, glad to help. Your mechanic, thank God, knows his business .....

Since he ruled out dented/bent/dirty driveshaft and balance issues, I'd have him/her concentrate on cross meember to frame nuts and bolts as well as transmission bushings and bolts. Driveshaft U-joint to pinion flange bolts, etc. Soooo many bolts and nuts.. Help!

Good luck again. I'm ready to finish some light needed mods on my bad boy and then I think I'll trade him up to a GT or a Mach 1 if I can. None of the dealers in my area have a Mach 1 available. BUMMER! Things are not staying around the dealership that's for sure. Saw a couple Saleens today in the mid $50,000 - $72,000 range. Hmmm little spendy for my budget. Plus, I'd just stare at the engine thinking.."I'm not a Special Vehicle Team, how does this darn thing work again?" LOL

Again, sometimes it is the beauty of the beast. 100,000 is about the time for our dawg's "early" transmission and suspension issues to start rearing their ugly head.

Again, glad to help. Jenn