MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

Default Clutch Servicing

I'm not drag racer but this car has proved to me that I seem to ride heavily at some times on the clutch, and every 20,000 miles that I put on one of these cars, the clutch will warn me that its not working exactly 100%. The gears are shifting fine, of course I don't always shift the same way every time I drive, a lot of times I short shift to save both gas AND the clutch plate..The throwout bearing I'm still sure is gonna present a problem in the next 5,000 or so. But instead of paying another $800 to have another clutch put in when I need it, PLEASE help me learn how to service this tranny myself. I put the car on four blocks yesterday, I don't like the jack stands I bought, just to look at the tranny and cross member. First I think I have to disconnect the starter, and as long as Im not removing the entire tranny I can leave all hoses in tact. But once I unbolt the bell housing from the engine, how do I move the transmission back far enough to work on the clutch? Do I need to remove any part of the drivetrain or anything else? Greg
Old 08-15-2006, 06:22 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: Clutch Servicing

Get car in air (lift is best but jackstands will do)
Disconnect battery
Remove primary O2 sensors
Remove exhaust (x or h pipe)
Disconnect clutch cable
Remove starter (yeah that third bolt on top is a bitch)
Remove driveshaft (helps to have a butt plug)
Remove shifter bezel and shifter (handle at a minimum)
Disconnect all transmission wiring (speedo cable too if earlier car)
Remove cross member
Remove four trans to bell housing bolts (unless its a T3650 then bell comes down with trans)
Slide transmission back until input shaft clears bell, then lower down and out of way
Remove eight bellhousing to block bolts (top two are fun)
Discard O2 bracket
Install clutch alignment tool
Remove six clutch to pressure plate bolts (evenly)
Carefully remove clutch and pressure plate (it'll hurt if you let it fall on your forehead)

If you've got a T3650, there are two ears on the bell that make it a real pain to get down and out. Sometimes it will help to loosen the motor mount bolts so that the engine will tip backwards. I usually cut these ears off before I reinstall the trans.

$800 for a clutch swap isn't that bad. If you don't have the right tools, it'll be a hassle but it can be done. I always replace the pilot bearing while I'm in there. That'll require that you rent a bearing puller from the local parts store.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
1989GT
Registered Member

Get a haynes manual or chilton etc. That'll help you out a lot. A lift is nice, but I've changed a quite few in the driveway. Nothing hard about it just time consuming since you have to take a lot of things off to get in there, plus some of the bolts can be a pain.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

A butt plug? Am I plugging the tail end of the tranny or...Gotta admit I've never heard of that. Beyond that, thanks for the step-by-step everything sounds basic, but you don't think $800 is a high price for getting a cutch replacement? The guy acually worked with me to make sure all the replacement parts were OEM Ford, I thought thats why it cost me about $500 in labor or more. I don't know though I saw on Horsepower TV when they were putting a new clutch in their project nightmare 96 GT vert and they removed just enough hardware to allow the tranny to simply move out of the way enough to reach the clutch assembly. Alright the first thing I have to get is a better floor jack. The dinky little thing I bought looked bigger in the picture, if that sounds stupid enough. I'll let you know how it turns out thanks again. Greg
Old 08-16-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
1989GT
Registered Member

Yes you have to plug the tail end of the tranny or fluid will spill out. I always just used a plastic bag and a zip tie to cover it. You could leave the tranny in but if it's your first time and you're doing it in the driveway it'll be easier to get it out of the way so you have more room to work. I always take the tranny out, but I know guys that work at dealerships that don't, to save time, when changing clutches and rear mains etc.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
2001GTPEWTER
Registered Member

While were on the subject have any of you ever experienced a high-pitched whistling sound during acceleration? Thing is I start driving in second gear, thats how I've driven the entire 20,000 Miles Ive put on this car so far.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:15 AM   #7
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001GTPEWTER
While were on the subject have any of you ever experienced a high-pitched whistling sound during acceleration? Thing is I start driving in second gear, thats how I've driven the entire 20,000 Miles Ive put on this car so far.
My car always has a high-pitched whistling sound during heavy acceleration.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote