MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-03-2003, 10:16 AM   #1
SkammyManX
Registered Member

Default Cobra R Engine 5.4L V8

I was reading this site about the Cobra R Engine

5.4L V8 32 valve engine...which happens to be in the new expeditions. Just so happens, that I work at a Ford Dealership in New York (www.fairportford.com) and I have resources to get that engine, now I dunno know if thats the same engine as in the 2000 Cobra R, but, if it is, will it produce 383 or whatever it is HP, just buy swapping the engines? I would think that I would the transmissions (Termec T-56 6-spd) would be needed to complete the progress, now I don't know much about swappin engines other then you need engine, transmissions, but I still need to research more about it, but I think I would need a new hood, gears, maybe rear end -- this is a good follow up to the side exhaust post...that would be the move! Make a Cobra R, yeah!

But listen here's my goals:

Either:
SuperCharger 4.6L 12-Valve...

Triton V-10 conversion

or this new crazy idea of the 5.4L V8 Cobra R engine swap

Either way I'll be spending thousands and thousands of dollars, but I want one goal and stick with it...

Thanks
SkammyManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:21 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The Ford website says the Expedition has a 2-valve 5.4L with 260hpp and 350lb-ft, so it's definitely not Cobra R material.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:37 PM   #3
SkammyManX
Registered Member

hmmm same engine set up though, all you might need to do is replace the intake manifold, teak the fuel....like I said I hafta look into the specs on the engine and compare the two.
SkammyManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
tazaxx
Registered Member

Default Re: Cobra R Engine 5.4L V8

I think it's the Lincoln Navigator that has the 5.4 32V.
tazaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
T_BIRDLX
Registered Member

You are correct about the Navigator having the 5.4 32v. The 2003 Navigator had 300 horsepower. I'm not sure if it's the same now or not
T_BIRDLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Torinalth
Registered Member

one thing you are forgetting is that the Cobra R was vastly different in many respects. if you just pull the Navi engine you will not have a cobra R. First thing that is different was the compression. the pistons themselves were light weight (as well as the rods) and i believe came to a 11.5:1 CR. the heads were not the navi heads, they were a custom job spacific to the R. the cam grind is not the same, though i have heard that it was the same grind as the 99 cobra... just have not confirmed that. and of course the timing was raised to 14*. all this was the 4v architecture was what gave thhe cobra R the power.

personaly i'd not go that route, but do it better and ceaper and easier. since you have access to all the ford parts (discounted perhapse) i'd take this route: get a 99 cobra aluminum block, bore it to .040 over, sleeve it, lightweight stroker crank, lightweight I beams, flat top pistons, VT stage 2 heads, VT stage 2 cams, steeda UD pullies & TA, Fox lake intake manifold, 75mm TB, DeMolet CAI. this in total should bring you to a 5.2L engine with a 12:1 CR. the heads and cams with the TA will get all the intern flow solid. with a good exhaust this should put down around 350 to the wheels (more then the cobra R). this is the route i am going though i might never get to the stroker due to money. I know its not as prestegious as a "Cobra R engine" but will cost less, take less time, and make more power. just a thought.

Torinalth