MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-21-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
VenimosChameleon
Registered Member

Question Color changing paint job

Yah, I just had a quick question. Well I've always liked the mystic cobras, and the paint on those things are pretty sweet. Does anyone here know of or have a paint job like that, and how much does it cost. I know it aint cheap, but money aint an issue? THanks yall

Future Mods: Clear Lights all around, Boss Spoiler, ABC Front Bumper, a new loud exhaust system, Tint them windows
VenimosChameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 08:46 PM   #2
420nitro
Registered Member

A friend of mine owns a body shop and we had this talk. He stated at the time that it wasn't really any more work but the paint cost is ridiculous. If I remember correctley he stated some where in the ball park of 2,000 dollars per gallon. (A gallon should do it.) ( regular manufacture paint cost any where from 200-500 gallon----PPG or Dupont)

So by the time you are done you will spend around (retail) 5,000 to 7,000 dollars. This is by a reputable body shop that does custom work. (this does not include any body repair.) I had a friend just pay 5,000 dollars for a great paint job but, basic color with alot of repairs and replacement parts due to rust. Not envolved in an accident.

The only problem that I heard is just like having your car painted a candy color is that, later you might have trouble matching the paint job for any future repairs.

Good Luck and hope this helps
420nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 10:47 PM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Dupont's "Chromalusion" paints have incredible color differences from every angle.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:53 PM   #4
surfbeast
Registered Member

the new 04 mustang MYSTIC type paint job has to go back to the Ford Factory to be repainted in case of damage. I was told that by the auto body shop manger at my dealer. Your talking big bucks to have it painted and to do any repairs. The paint is awsome though
Old 01-22-2004, 03:37 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

That price is probably about right for the paint itself because when I checked a few years ago the Dupont color changing paint from the Mystic Cobra was $180/pint.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:36 PM   #6
FordFastGirl5.0
Registered Member

Have you checked out any paint at House of Kolor, they have a pretty wide selection and prices, the paint shouldn't really be the issue its the amount of money you pay for labor. My brother is a professional painter for an autobody co. in St.Louis and I know about how much just the labor cost and its the biggest part of it. no joke. It would be nice if you could find someone to do it for you on the side.
holly upper/lower intake, timing chains, F303 cam, 24lb fuel injectors, 75mm mass air meter, underdrive pulleys, 3:73 gears, BBK C.A.I., BBK long tube headers, Off road H-pipe, 17" cobra R's, 2800 stall yet to come.......
FordFastGirl5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote