MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-20-2002, 10:30 PM   #1
boosted89
Registered Member

Default cooling questions

If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it, as I've been chasing this demon for several years now. I have an 89 GT with Edelbrock heads, GT40 intake, F303 cam, FRPP (Powerdyne) 11 psi blower, and all the other bolt-ons. My problem: The temperature keeps climbing (upwards of 200 degrees) with the A/C on, even when testing it on cooler days. I live in North Carolina, so the weather here shouldn't be that hard on my cooling system. The temp guage stays fairly stable until I'm cruising at low speeds through town. I have a Griffin aluminum radiator, Flowkooler waterpump, 160 thermostat, 93 Cobra water pump pulley (smaller than the stock one, overdrives the pump), Permacool electric fan (2100-2950 cfm), and the stock fan shroud. I've also had the cooling system backflushed, but no difference. The problem used to also occur with the a/c off, but the electric fan and the Cobra pulley helped alot. Now I'd just like to be able to run the a/c when I'm idling in traffic (With the temp staying at least below 190). I suspect that the problem may be the GT nose (no grill opening like the LX). Would a Cobra front bumper insert help? Does anyone else have this problem? Any help would be greatly apreciated!
PS- I know you guys don't like 160 thermostats, but remember, my engine is supercharged, and the 160 helped alot!
F303
11 lb Powerdyne
TKO tranny, 3.73 rear
Most of the other stuff, too
boosted89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 10:53 PM   #2
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

my buddy put the cobra insert in his car and he said it ran a lot cooler, also i would make sure the fan is going on when you turn on the a/c, you prob already know this but the when you turn on the a/c the fan should turn on.

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 11:04 AM   #3
boosted89
Registered Member

Thanks SN95gt19, I was wondering if the insert made any difference. I have the fan wired to a switch, and I keep it turned on the entire time the engine is running. Thinking today that maybe I should ditch the stock fan shroud, since the instructions for the electric fan said to use it with no shroud. Anybody have any input on this?
F303
11 lb Powerdyne
TKO tranny, 3.73 rear
Old 05-21-2002, 04:59 PM   #4
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Just curious if your using the factory temp gauge or and aftermaket gauge like Autometer to determine your temperature?

Has it ever overheated at all? Try driving it around a while, then go back home and let it sit with the AC on. See if it overheats or not and get back to us.
Old 05-21-2002, 06:06 PM   #5
90'5.0 Conv
Long time member in and out

Just thought I throw an idea out there but from what I've seen and heard on here, the 160 t-stat doesn't give the water time enough to circulate. Maybe someone can back this up. Personally, I've never had anything but the stock t-stat but like I said I see this come up often. Just an idea, hope it helps.

Good Luck, James
2 Ch Flowmasters

1/8th ET 9.04
90'5.0 Conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:27 PM   #6
boosted89
Registered Member

I'm using an autometer mechanical guage, so it should be extremely accurate. The car hasn't overheated since back in the day when I blew a head gasket with nitrous. However, with the a/c on in town (running between stoplights and 35 mph) it reached as high as 210 degrees before I shut off the a/c. I'm kind of scared to see if it overheats or not, because I don't want to damage my aluminum heads. How hot is too hot? I'm scared to really flog the car at 200 degrees, and I want the car to run cool at all times (just in case an LS1 were to pull up beside me!) I used to have a 180 thermostat, but the problem was even worse with it. I'm wondering if it's just my car, or is this normal for supercharged, cammed, etc. mustangs, especially GT's?

PS 91GTturbo, where did you get your turbo kit, and how do you like it? (considering a single/twin turbo for my next combo)
F303
11 lb Powerdyne
TKO tranny, 3.73 rear
Old 05-21-2002, 11:10 PM   #7
Mach 1
Registered Member

I had temp. problems with mine for some time. Im N/A, but live in middle GA (very hot) and run an automatic with high stall and no lockup (more heat).

I run a high flow 180 stat, fluidyne aluminum rad., and a stewart high flow water pump, and it would still get too hot at times.

I got the grill insert, it did help. Also get a cowl hood if you dont have one. It lets heat out the back.

Withthe insert and th ecowl hood, it hasnt been so bad. Its been cool so far this summer though.

you asked how hot is to hot? Anything over 225, you might want to shut er down to cool for awhile.
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 12:42 PM   #8
USMC302
Registered Member

it is possible that your a\c pump is going bad and the pulley isn't turning very freely when engaged, it could be wanting to hang up and put more pressure on the system and slow down the belt cycle. but then again maybe not.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:46 AM   #9
boosted89
Registered Member

Thanks for all your help guys! I never cease to be amazed by the wealth of knowledge on these boards. I'll check the compressor, because I just recharged the a/c system after it's been empty for about 5 years. I didn't think about the compressor causing it to run hot, but it makes sense. If all else fails, I'll get the Cobra insert. I already have a ram-air hood, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Thanks again!
F303
11 lb Powerdyne
TKO tranny, 3.73 rear