MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2000, 12:27 PM   #1
T-Bone
Registered Member

Question Cutting springs to lower car

My car leans a little to the drivers side, so I want to change my springs. I've seen some used ones from a 2000 GT for like $20 for the set. I was wondering if I could use these on my 96'GT. And if so if I could cut them down to lower the car about 2 inches. Does anyone know how much spring to cut off to achieve this if they do fit?
How difficult is it to change the springs anyway. There is a shop here on base that has every kind of tool I might need and I can rent a stall for about $3 or $4 per hour. I know someone who had some put on his Honda and it cost him around $200 just for the install.
Thanks

------------------
96' GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,removed air silencer,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select654.htm
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2000, 07:40 PM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Are you sure that it isn't your front strut or shock or both that are bad? My front right strut already went bad and I replaced both struts. Only had about 32,000 miles on the car at the time. They have a tendency to go bad pretty fast (stock ones). My shocks are still good though I'll probably do some suspension work on it this summer replacing all four corners (struts, shocks, springs). About the springs, from what I know cutting them is a bad idea. Suspension will be shot in about 15,000 miles or so. The factory springs will not operate correctly cause they are not designed for it. They'll also ride worse than a one ton pickup truck. Best to buy aftermarket. Eibach, Jamex, Ford Motorsport, Global West, MRP, Tokico. Don't mess with BBK. I know alot of people that are disappointed with their springs. But, whatever floats your boat. I thought about cutting my springs too. But I don't feel like replacing the whole suspension because of it. Rather do it right the first time. If anyone can prove otherwise about the cutting the springs let me know. That's just what I've been told by very experienced and knowledgeable suspension experts.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
K&N, removed air silencer, 3.55s, turndowns after H-pipe (no mufflers)
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2000, 11:22 AM   #3
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Cutting springs is bad news. Sure, it'll make the car ride lower, but with the stock spring rates, and 2 less inches of suspension travel, hit a bump and bad things happen. That's if the springs are cut just right. I know a lot of rice boys who try this or the spring clamp things. Doesn't really work.
If you want to lower it, get a good set of after market springs. Personally I'm using Steeda Sport Springs ($189).
Also, lowering 2 inches is a bit much. 1 1/4 or maybe 1 1/2 is all you really want to go. 1 1/4 doesn't sound like all that much, but it is when you see it.
Also, when you lower it, its a good idea to get a set of CC plates. The stock plates do not allow anywhere near enough alignment adjustment, and you will destroy your tires with 'em.
Finally I agrea with 96GTS. It sounds like you have a bad strut. I'd take care of that first.

------------------
'97 Cobra, K&N, Flowmaster, subframes, 4.10 gears, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Steeda G-Trac 3, Cobra R wheels w/ Goodyear F1s
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2000, 12:51 PM   #4
T-Bone
Registered Member

Question

hmmm...I'm a little confused.I posted the car lean ordeal a couple months ago and got several replies from people who have experienced this, and it was the springs. Now I have two people telling me its the struts. Any way I can find out, besides just replacing one or the other and seeing if the problem goes away? I thought I'd go with the springs since I want to lower the car a little anyway. Theres way too much clearance in the fenderwell for my liking. Don't get me wrong. I don't want a low rider or anything like that. Just lower. After putting the same post on the "Late Model Tech" board and getting several replies suggesting not to do any cutting, I've decided against that idea. I was just trying to get away with getting a new set of shocks and going lower at the same time for a fraction of the price of aftermarket springs.
Thanks for any advice!

------------------
96' GT
5-speed,K&N air filter,removed air silencer,80mm MAF,Mac Cat-Back,Mac Pro Chamber H-Pipe

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select654.htm
Old 04-06-2000, 04:48 PM   #5
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Well. It could be your springs, but I've never heard of a spring breaking. I guess the best thing to do is put it up on a lift or jack stands and go look, or have a mechanic look.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2000, 05:39 PM   #6
T-Bone
Registered Member

I have heard of one breaking, but not in those cases. In those situations I believe the spring was just sprung. Lost its... springivity...um yeah. And thats what it may be on my car.
Old 04-07-2000, 09:01 AM   #7
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Push on the front of your car, unless you have access to a lift or something and grab hold of the sway bar, and bounce the front up and down. Bounce the front end up and down a couple times and let go. If the front end keeps moving up and down when you release then it's bad strut(s). If it pretty much stops bouncing right after you let go then your struts should be alright. The struts should stop the front end from bouncing pretty much right away. You should be able to tell when driving, too. Take notice of the front end. Go over some bumps in the road, like railroad tracks or a bumpy street or something, where you can get the front end to bounce around. I know there's technical names for that like "jounce" and stuff, but I like plain english myself.

------------------
1996 Mustang GTS
K&N, removed air silencer, 3.55s, turndowns after H-pipe (no mufflers)
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2000, 11:13 AM   #8
T-Bone
Registered Member

No, it doesn't bounce around. And its pretty solid going over bumps, thats for sure. Compared to my other cars, it feels like its gonna jar my damn teeth out if I go over little bumps too fast. But from what I understand, thats the way its suppose to be on a "performance" car. Right. So it sounds like my struts are good. Oh, and BTW, looking at the car, its more obvious in the back than the front. You were refering only to the front of the car, 96GTS.