MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-21-2004, 10:54 AM   #1
conate
Registered Member

Default Cylinder 5 misfire 2001 Mustang GT

Scanned my GT an received a "Cylinder 5 misfire" code on my ODBII scanner. Cleared the code and it came back agian 2 days later. The car is running/idling rougher than normal but still has plenty of power.Doesn't seem to be smoking more than usual at startup. Please advise if anyone has had this issue.
conate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:19 AM   #2
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Re: Cylinder 5 misfire 2001 Mustang GT

What mods do you have?

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
conate
Registered Member

None.... the engine is stock
conate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

OK, I would definately pull #5 coil pack and spark plug. I would bet that you have a bad plug or a corroded coil wire or a bad coil pack. Easy thing to check. Sorry though, as I don't know which one is number 5. I forget how they are numbered. I am sure someone can help. Most likely you will know as soon as you pull it out.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 11-24-2004, 09:56 PM   #5
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Absolutely the spark plug, make sure you put Platinum back in if you're a stocker. Autolite is cool. If one is bad, can the other 7 be far behind? Time for a tune up, change them all. #5 is driver's side front.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 02:00 AM   #6
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Heck, if that's the driver side front, that is the easy one to pull. I take that one out all the time just to see how it looks. Just pulled it today.

My Stang:
Old 11-25-2004, 07:13 AM   #7
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Other than the back 2, none of them should be too terrible bad to get out. (A 4.6/5.4 in a truck, now that's a different story! LOL) Coil packs will sneak out from under the fuel rail without taking it loose. Just be careful with those things. If you break one though, AZ and Advance have them in stock. If you have #5 out all the time, check the coil pack boot real good, make sure something didn't get broken. Also, a littel high temp never seize goes a loooooong way on those.

Good Luck!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: