MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-28-2001, 10:37 AM   #1
bark3rd
Registered Member

Question Dash backlight is out, engine warning and turn signal indicators still work.

My dash backlight has gone out (cant see speedo or tach at night) but the engine warning lights, turn signal indicators and high-beam indicator still comes on. Could this be a blown fuse? The fuse map in the owners manual is vague and only lists "instrument clusters" and "interior lights". I hate to take to the shop if this could be an easy fix. Im guessing the bulb is out but at 8k Mi? Im also getting a weird flapping noise coming from my a/c vents when the a/c fan is on high. Help! Its hard to race or monitor speed at night when you cant see the dash or tach!

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's,flowmasters Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster, K&N filter
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 11:07 AM   #2
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

In most cars there are multiple lights illuminating the dash so if they are all out it has to be a fuse somewhere. The chances that all 8 or so blubs died at 8K miles is one in a million.

------------------
00 GT, MAC Offroad H, Steeda Pulleys & Timing Adjuster, 4.10’s, Flows w/turndowns, UPR shifter, UPR Pro Series LCA’s, Lakewood 70/30’s & 50/50’s, Weld Pro Stars, Kaenen Cobra R Hood, 253.8 RWHP/292.8RWTQ
12.91@101.93 (1.74 60ft)
M/M 100, 7085
Recent Pic from Moroso
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 10:30 PM   #3
Tim C
Registered Member

If you only have 8k miles on a 2000 mustang, it should still be under warranty. Easy fix or not, just take it to the dealer, even if the bulbs blow it'd be free.

Tim
Tim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2001, 10:03 PM   #4
Mustangmom2k
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Take it to the dealer! I know it's a PITA, but neither of your problems should be happening, and it's their job to fix it for you. It's the principle of the thing!

Besides that, you could remove the dash bezel, the guage cluster, etc., and poke around with a multimeter to find the problem, but you might screw something else up in the process. The wiring and connections are fairly delicate in there. Then Ford would have the perfect opporunity to deny fixing the original problem, claiming that it's entirely YOUR fault.

Just my .02 cents.

------------------
"Back in the day"-Red '66 289 "Later"- Black '68 289
"Today"- White 2000 GT
Stock except K&N & Flowmasters
ET-13.952@98.87 RT-.507 60'-2.09

Son #1 - '87 GT stock
Son #2 - '89 LX 5.0 stock

Mustangmom2k is offline   Reply With Quote