MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-07-2002, 09:59 PM   #1
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Default Check Engine Light

Ok I had a Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back installed on my 96 GT a year ago next tuesday. ( i know its creepy that i remember but theres a reason.) Anyway, ever since, my car has had the check engine go off and on every so often. I took it to school and used the OBD II and it gave a code for Rev limiter and high speeds reached. (opps!) I cleared the code but the light continues to go on and off. When it went to the dealer, they found nothing and the light wasnt on at the time. I recently passed Illinois emmisions testing and the car runs fine, no problems at all. Does anyone know why my light is going on. I only have bolt on mods, most of which were added after the cat-back. Is there a sensor that is really picky or something that is setting the light off because of the cat-back? I think that may be it cuse my friends Honda has the same light on because he had a cat-back put on but the dealer said it was just because the Honda sensors are really sensative. Any help would be great. Othewise, when i get my X-pipe with cats im just gone get MIL's to cuse the light is starting to bother me. Please help!
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 02:11 PM   #2
thclover1
Registered Member

you may want to check your o2 sensors..maybe you bumped it installing your cat back...hope this helps
thclover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 05:50 PM   #3
SteveGT
Registered Member

Yes, there is a code for OBD II that causes your check engine light to come on. The code is an "insufficent exhaust backpressure" fault. Still a problem with my '98 GT. I'll let you know when I have it figured out.
SteveGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 10:05 PM   #4
96GTPRT
Registered Member

I had it taken to the dealer and they said it was a faulty canister purge flow sensor. they fixed it and the light hasnt been back on and i drove all the way to St. Louis for WFC 5 and back. I don tknow what the hell the thing does that they fixed but my light hasnt been back on yet.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Old 05-19-2002, 10:23 PM   #5
96GTPRT
Registered Member

I had it taken to the dealer and they said it was a faulty canister purge flow sensor. they fixed it and the light hasnt been back on and i drove all the way to St. Louis for WFC 5 and back. I don tknow what the hell the thing does that they fixed but my light hasnt been back on yet.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:48 PM   #6
thclover1
Registered Member

just emission bullcrap
e303 cam,advanced timing,bypassed air pump,3:55 gears.lightweight fly wheel,center force dual clutch, lifters,push rods,heavy valve springs,roller rockers,off road mac h pipe,unequal mac headers,man is this fun lol
thclover1 is offline   Reply With Quote