View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
larrybia
Registered Member

Default Re: Dead Band ON Throttle

I just got back from the dealer. He checked over the throttle mechanical parts and found no problems. He indicated that what I am seeing is typical for a “Fly by Wire” system and was much worst on the 05s when they first came out. The difference between the feel of a cable system and a “Fly by Wire” system is significant and requires getting use to. I have heard that the “Fly by Wire” systems in the late model Corvettes and on diesel trucks also have the same feel which is annoying until you are use to it. Unlike the cable system, where the throttle plate position is where your foot goes, the position of the throttle plate for a “Fly by Wire” system goes where and when the computer wants it to go indirectly as a function of you foot. As you indicated, the function controlling the throttle plate (engine RPM/power) is very complicated. Output from the throttle also goes to the fuel pressure system and several other systems. So the software function for throttle position to throttle plate position is complicated by the requirement to control other systems. This may be an efficient design but I do not believe it is a safe design, especially for an automatic. I want the RPM of the engine and subsequently the speed of the car to be directly related to my foot position.

I will be passing my feelings and thoughts to Ford Technical and see what they think. I would hope that others feel the same annoying operation of the throttle on an 05 and above automatic, and if so, maybe we could get Ford to improve the software to make the throttle operate more like a cable system.

I would appreciate any comments and will keep this forum informed on any addition things I find out on this subject.
larrybia is offline   Reply With Quote