MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-11-2004, 11:48 PM   #1
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Default Diablo Chip Test

Ok, I did some testing this evening with my car. Ever since I have had the chip installed, something has just not seemed right. And, I have really not had a chance to drive it much (fare weather only).

I have a g-meter. I made a dozen runs or so this evening up and down the same stretch of interstate. I used the g-meter to measure my g forces in different gears and at different rpms. With the chip "on" the car consistently posted 0.01 to 0.02 g's higher than with the chip "off." This is good news as it would seem to prove that the chip is providing more force. Actually, this number could be trasnlated into HP, but I am too tired to think that much now. So, what is the problem?

My speedo reads LOWER with the chip "on" then when it is "off". When I am going 70 mph with the chip "off", the car shows 60 mph with the chip "on" at the same rpms!!!

I have a 5 speed with stock gears (3.23). I think the chip got programmed for after market gears by misstake? I sent an email to the company where I purchased it to find out WTF.

I need the gear experts to answer this question: If I have stock gears and the chip is programmed for 3.73 or 4.10's, does it make sense that the speedo is reading lower, or would it higher? This gear crap always get's me confused.

Thanks!

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
xxxBlakexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:01 AM   #2
explicitone
Registered Member

if its setup from gears from the stock 3.27s to a 373 or 4.10s yes the speedo would read slower

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
explicitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 07:48 AM   #3
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

OK. I guess the next thing is to figure out what gears it is setup for. Hey, I am ok with this...save me a few $ when I get them.

My Stang:
2000 Mustang GT Vert - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter; C&L Plenum; BBK 75 mm TB; Steeda Strut Tower Supports; Black "Deep Dish" Bullet Wheels; FRPP 4.10's; Steeda Subframes; SLP Catback & SLP Catted X-Pipe; SCT 4 Position Chip with 3 custom tunes; Steeda CAI; Venom-1000 Nitrous; Roush Stage 3 Body Kit; Bullet Suspension Package (on the way)
Old 03-12-2004, 09:28 PM   #4
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Turns out the chip is totally dicked! I spoke with the company today. It has some wired a s s program on it for another car. That figures. I am sending it back and having a different programer burn it.

I also ordered 3.73's today so I am having it programed accordingly. After much thought, I finally decided the 3.73's would be the best fit for us.

I will have three programs on the chip. One will be totally stock. One will be for my mods and high octane. One will be stock (87 octane) but setup for the gears.

My Stang:
Old 03-22-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

So you got the delta chip from Diablo eh?

WHat did you pay, and where did you get it from?

You where telling me Superchip made a better one?

Why?

NEW CAR! - 2002 GT TrueBlue - Best Stock ET - 13.77

Old Lizard - 2000GT Electric Green - Best ET STOCK: 13.662 @ 100.2MPH
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:10 PM   #6
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

I got the chip at MotorHaven.com and I think I paid around $225.

My point about the SuperChip was related to the Super Chip Tuner being better than the Diablo Delta Sport Chip that I have. This is a device that allows you to program your car without removing it from the computer and you can change the program whenever you want. You don't need to send it off to have it reburned everytime you change something. If I were to do it again, this is the device that I would get. Diablo does not make one of these programmers yet for the GT, just the Cobra unless this has changed.

The SuperChip Tuner runs about $400+ list, but I think you can get it for $361. I got cheap.

Am I making sense? Anyway, here I sit. Another week gone by without my chip as it has not been returned yet. If I had the programmer, I would be "good to go".

My Stang:
Old 03-22-2004, 05:16 PM   #7
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxBlakexxx
I got the chip at MotorHaven.com and I think I paid around $225.

My point about the SuperChip was related to the Super Chip Tuner being better than the Diablo Delta Sport Chip that I have. This is a device that allows you to program your car without removing it from the computer and you can change the program whenever you want. You don't need to send it off to have it reburned everytime you change something. If I were to do it again, this is the device that I would get. Diablo does not make one of these programmers yet for the GT, just the Cobra unless this has changed.

The SuperChip Tuner runs about $400+ list, but I think you can get it for $361. I got cheap.

Am I making sense? Anyway, here I sit. Another week gone by without my chip as it has not been returned yet. If I had the programmer, I would be "good to go".

your right in a way but the sct flasher is setup with program just like a chip is and then you have to reflash the ecu for everychange

I have the sct chip and it has a dial on a wire so I can change my tune on the fly
I have 1 n/a tune and 2 nitrous tunes and last 1 is stock
I think the sct chip is the best out there right now

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 03-22-2004, 07:58 PM   #8
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

How is your nitrous tune setup? What changes? Did you retard timing? How much?

Why does Venom say that you don't need to do this with their systems? Any ideas on this?

My Stang:
Old 03-22-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Do you need to know a lot when you tune yourself, or is it fairly straight forward?

Can it adjust timing?

I was thinking of having a tune for 87 Octane and Sunoco 94 Octane.

I guess the question is, do you actually have good control over what is going on?

NEW CAR! - 2002 GT TrueBlue - Best Stock ET - 13.77

Old Lizard - 2000GT Electric Green - Best ET STOCK: 13.662 @ 100.2MPH
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:55 PM   #10
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

With my diablo, I am setup for 87 and 91 or 92 (I forget). 94 would require more advance, but it is not available everywhere. All you would have to do is have them setup your chip for 94. Or, if you buy the Superchips Programmer, you just make the change yourself. It's all in the amount of advance.

My Stang:
Old 03-23-2004, 02:38 AM   #11
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

OH MY GOD! ITS THE LIZARD KING!

Hows it been going man..Havent talked to you in like forever. I just mentioned you in like another message board. Hows the baby and the stang and the wife doing?

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:14 AM   #12
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
How is your nitrous tune setup? What changes? Did you retard timing? How much?

Why does Venom say that you don't need to do this with their systems? Any ideas on this?
my 2nd tune is with the stock timing and a small increase in fuel pressure for when the nx kit kicks on for the 75/100 shot

my 3rd
has a timing retarded and a little more fuel for the 150 shot

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 03-23-2004, 07:16 AM   #13
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
With my diablo, I am setup for 87 and 91 or 92 (I forget). 94 would require more advance, but it is not available everywhere. All you would have to do is have them setup your chip for 94. Or, if you buy the Superchips Programmer, you just make the change yourself. It's all in the amount of advance.
if your talking about the superchips programmer is a waste just like the hyper tech power programmer

but if your talking the sct flasher the it is worth every penny

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 03-23-2004, 07:42 AM   #14
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by explicitone
if your talking about the superchips programmer is a waste just like the hyper tech power programmer

but if your talking the sct flasher the it is worth every penny
Exactly. I want to stress to the guys unfamiliar with SCT that Superchips and Superchips Custom Tuning are different.
The SCT flasher is this thing to get if you still have a warranty and don't want Ford to know that you're modding. You flash through your diagnostic port and when you go in for service you just reflash with the stock program.
Once you install a chip then remove it, the dealer can just look at the contacts on the computer and can void your warranty.
If you're out of warranty, I would go with the switch chip like explicitone has. Mainly for the reason he stated above, ability to switch on the fly.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:43 PM   #15
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

Can you really switch that thing on the fly? or do you have to restart the car? With my Diablo, I have to restart the car if I want to change programs.

Also, explicitone, you answered another question I had- 75 or 100 shot with N02 can be run with stock timing. Thanks!

My Stang:
Old 03-23-2004, 05:48 PM   #16
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you really switch that thing on the fly? or do you have to restart the car? With my Diablo, I have to restart the car if I want to change programs.

Also, explicitone, you answered another question I had- 75 or 100 shot with N02 can be run with stock timing. Thanks!
just make sure you run a spark plug that is 1 heat range colder

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________
Old 03-23-2004, 10:43 PM   #17
xxxBlakexxx
Registered Member

And it's ok to do this when not running N02, right?

My Stang:
Old 03-24-2004, 05:37 AM   #18
explicitone
Registered Member

Quote:
And it's ok to do this when not running N02, right?
yes and they needd to be gapped around 34-35

________

Novi 2000
60' 1.46
1/4 10.67
mph 126.5
_________