MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-19-2002, 09:00 PM   #1
apenn

Default Diablo vs SuperChip Computer - Need Input

Just back from the shop from having my SuperChip replaced with a Diablo (neither was custom tuned, however I will be getting the new chip custom tuned soon). Here's my opinion and very recent experience with the two. I had the SuperChip installed when I had the Vortech Supercharger done so naturally there was a huge difference in power. However under normal driving the car completely felt stock, driveability was the same, idle the same, gas mileage actually the same and no detonation unless I put something other than Texaco premium in the car, and then only a very little bit of ping on rare occassion. Because of the SC I can't tell you the difference between stock chip and SuperChip. Now I just replaced my SuperChip with a Diablo, I also had a Lightning Mass Air Sensor and Anderson PowerPipe installed. A noticeable difference between the two. As a general statement the Diablo is a much more agressive chip. By this I mean the car now has a lumpier idle, it "chugs" and "spits" and "fights" (gee I guess like the pony it is) under moderate or light accelleration, however the car is more responsive (possible do to the PowerPipe also?), and under wide open throttle the car is definitely faster (at least according to the butt dyno). Also my car had less than 1/4 tank of Shell gas in it, which with the SuperChip it would detonate very little with, but once the Diable was installed it detonated more than I had ever heard before. Once I filled the car up with Texaco the detonation completely went away. The car just seems high strung with the Diablo, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just now under all driving conditions I know I'm driving a very high performance car, where as with the SuperChip as long as I kept my foot out of it the car felt completely stock. Also, my check engine light came on with the Diablo Chip (never did this with any of the other mods done to the car), however the reading for it said it had something to do with the A/C, which I'm told should have nothing to do with the Diablo (interesting coincidence though). I've got a thousand miles left on the warranty, I'm very curious to see what Ford says tomorrow about this. Anyone else agree, or disagree with anything I've mentioned? Others please give their input because I'm not quite sure if I want to keep the Diablo or not, I think I do, I just have to drive with it more than a day, and see what Ford says about the check engine light. Also, I'll be off to the track on Saturday so I'll really see if these mods made a difference. Thanks for taking the time to read this novel.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:19 AM   #2
94GTConv
Registered Member

I agree completely. My buddy went from having 291 RWHP with an autologic chip to 310 RWHP just by switching to Diablo. They are by far the best.

If anyone is interested same buddy now sells their chip he was impressed so much.
His AIM sn is: ImBrok3n
He'll answer any questions you have about the chip.
94GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 08:46 AM   #3
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
I agree completely. My buddy went from having 291 RWHP with an autologic chip to 310 RWHP just by switching to Diablo. They are by far the best.
Actually, I lean toward the Autologic chip, programmability and tuning options are just plain better... IMO...
Either way, the Diablo is definately a better choice than Superchips, and you should keep it.

The difference your feeling is how a performance car should feel, although your description of the idle makes me think that the lightning MAF may not be perfect for your setup.

The idle on the Yellowjacket is superb. Nice and smooth until you romp on it.... and then it turns into a monster.
I still think you should be using a custom programmed Pro-M.

But, either way, I'm glad you saw improvement with your mods...
Congrats!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 01:32 PM   #4
94GTConv
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Actually, I lean toward the Autologic chip, programmability and tuning options are just plain better... IMO...
All chips can tap into the same parameters. The tuning options are universal.
94GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 02:18 PM   #5
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
All chips can tap into the same parameters. The tuning options are universal.
Jeez 94, let's get technical shall we?

I guess I'm speaking of the interface when tuning...

Our shop uses a laptop and dyno, and while I specifically don't do the tuning, from what I have seen from the interface, while a little outdated, its pretty user friendly and straight forward.

We should soon be able to do custom tunes with diablo chips also, so I'm fairly curious to see the interface.

Note to the wise:
Most shops download "pre-configured" files for most set-ups using an after-market chip.
This is usually the reason you see different outcomes from using different chips. It's not the hardware that makes a difference, its how agressive the program is....
This set-up is fine for most "near-stock" applications, but when things such as forced induction are involved, nothing will replace a custom dyno-tune.

Just a word to the wise...
Old 09-20-2002, 05:38 PM   #6
Titan
Registered Member

tsk tsk...questioning the hammer...

word to the wise, never talk back to somebody who talked about the invention of the flamethrower in their sig...just respect it and move on...IMO...

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 06:09 PM   #7
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
never talk back to somebody who talked about the invention of the flamethrower in their sig...just respect it and move on...IMO...
HAHAHA!

Seriously, thanks for the vote of confidence Titan.

But 94GT DID bring up a factual point, and that's what we're here for: FACTS.

Also, I HAVE been known to be wrong from time to time. (Especially when dealing with 289s and 302s... You should see my face turn white when someone asks me a question about a 64.5-73 Mustang...)
Old 09-20-2002, 09:09 PM   #8
rush
Registered Member

Default The Diablo Chip

I too was interested in the Diablo chip seeing as my 2000 GT is quite stock. I have a BBK air system and an exhaust system on it. I asked several high performance places about putting in that chip and they all said the same thing. I told them I plannned on Supercharging it and they all said "Not with a Diablo cihp you won't!". I was told that, believe it or not, tha stock chip worked better with a SC than it did with the Diablo.

Rob.
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 10:31 PM   #9
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
I was told that, believe it or not, tha stock chip worked better with a SC than it did with the Diablo.
Hehe, That's funny.
Because there is no stock "chip".

There is just the ECM.
After-market chips are installed on a service port on the ECM.
Since the port is never used in most cars, the service port contacts are protected by a service port cover, protective grease and lacquer.

By changing the program on the chip and installing it on the service port, you can change the way the ECM acts and interfaces with the rest of the car.

I have no idea why a performance shop would tell you to use a stock ECM with a blower. In fact, most Mustang blower kits today REQUIRE an aftermarket chip (usually supplied) to operate normally.
One example is 99 and newer stangs with a Procharger P1SC setup.

99+ Mustangs use a "returnless" fuel system, (ie no fuel return line), so you can't use a Fuel Management Unit to increase fuel pressure when you start making boost. In order to supply enough fuel, you'll need at least 30lb injectors and an ECM module (ie "chip") in place of an FMU. This way the ECM will react correctly and provide the fuel pressure you will need.

The above is just one of the MANY things a correctly programmed chip can do for you. It also shows why a "generic" after-market chip will not yield the same results as a custom tune on modified engines.

Rush,
If you are serious about a blower, email me when you're ready to buy and I'll get you in touch with some folks down here at Dallas Mustang.

Hope this helps....
Old 09-21-2002, 05:57 AM   #10
rush
Registered Member

Default Diablo chip

Well....you learn something new everday. I wasn't trying o discourage you about he chip, I didn't want anybody to waste their money if they didn't need to. But it definitely sounds like you know your poop!
As far as Supercharging goes, please do inform me of the best setup for my 2000 GT. I'll be honest, I'm new to Stangs. I just got out of the Mitsubishi Eclipse scene. All suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

HEre are a few questions I have for you.

1.) I will defninitely be supercharging next year or soner. What system would you recommend for my 2000 GT?

2.) On my car whic only has a hi-flow exhaust and BBK air system, is it worth for me to buy a throttle body? If yes, what size? 70mm, 75mm, higher??? I know that as the car gets more hyper I will need to change injectors to get more fuel in there and perhaps even a new fuel pump. But is there a size you would stop at? Keep in mind this will be my everyday car.

3.) What chip would you buy now if you were Supercharging later, or would you wait to know what system you were putting in.

4.) Do you feel much difference on a basically stock setup by adding a new chip?

5.) At this stage, is a new pulley setup worth the money?

6.) What fisrt and lesser expensive hop-ups do you recommend before I spend big bucks on a Supercharger?

7.) How durable are stock pistons, rods, cranks, clutches and so on when you Supercharge?

If you can, please answe these one y one. I woud really appreciate this info. Guys in the past jut reply by saying yes, no, yes, yes, no. It sounds lik you know your stuff and yes get me the nfo on those Mustang guys in Texas.

Greatly appreciated, Rob.

Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 12:45 PM   #11
Titan
Registered Member

Default Re: Diablo chip

Quote:
Originally posted by rush
HEre are a few questions I have for you.

1.) I will defninitely be supercharging next year or soner. What system would you recommend for my 2000 GT?

2.) On my car whic only has a hi-flow exhaust and BBK air system, is it worth for me to buy a throttle body? If yes, what size? 70mm, 75mm, higher??? I know that as the car gets more hyper I will need to change injectors to get more fuel in there and perhaps even a new fuel pump. But is there a size you would stop at? Keep in mind this will be my everyday car.

3.) What chip would you buy now if you were Supercharging later, or would you wait to know what system you were putting in.

4.) Do you feel much difference on a basically stock setup by adding a new chip?

5.) At this stage, is a new pulley setup worth the money?

6.) What fisrt and lesser expensive hop-ups do you recommend before I spend big bucks on a Supercharger?

7.) How durable are stock pistons, rods, cranks, clutches and so on when you Supercharge?
1) Can't help you there...but I've heard nothing but good from Vortech (except apenns). I think hammer has a procharger.

2) Not worth buying a throttle body yet. Wait till just before you supercharger her. Dunno what lb. jets...check out hammer's user ride.

3) Most s/c come with chips.

4) No, I was looking into a chip, but they told me I was only looking at 10-20 horses. For $400 bucks...I'm thinking no.

5) Pullies are iffy. Many people say they can't tell a difference, some people say they can. It's a good mod to free up some hp, but only you can tell if u feel a change.

6) GEARS, don't know if you have em, but get em

7) Stay under 8lbs, you'll be fine.

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote