MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-13-2002, 02:55 AM   #1
Chris2000GTvert
Registered Member

Default Did I permanently hurt my car?

I was out tonight kinda driving my car hard and I'm new to stick, and to the car. I've had it for 3 weeks, its a 2000 gt convertible 5 speed.

I was driving hard on an empty road just to practice going through the gears, and when I finished revving through 2nd I by mistake slammed the shifter back into first, and released the clutch. My car thumped a bunch of times, I push ed the clutch back in, and drove off the the shoulder to see if everything was ok. I drove the car around fine the remainder of the night, I'm just worried because theoretically I was probably at like 8k rpm when I released in first gear, after just about redlining 2nd.

Did I permanently hurt the car you think? Or am I just lucky it didn't explode, and I'm fine now. In deeper discussion of the issue, a friend was telling me that I'm probably fine because our cars have low redlines, and that this would only be really really bad in a car like an s2000, or celica gts with high redline because car would be at theoretically 10k + if this happened. Let me know, thanks everyone.

-Chris
Chris2000GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 04:09 AM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Welcome to Mustangworks.

And no I doubt you hurt it. Id say you hit the rev limiter, bucking the car.

Shifting wise, if it still shifts ok, that too should be good.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:39 AM   #3
GodStang
College Stanger

Welcome to Mustang works.

I agree with mustangII. You have a rev limiter. It keeps you from blowing your engine. Also the 4.6L are pretty darn strong. You are most likly good.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:07 PM   #4
The Deuce
Registered Member

I would pop the hood an listen for excessive clicking or tapping in the valvetrain when the car is hot. While yes you did hit the rev limiter it wouldn't be able to stop your car from spinning up as high as it did.

I doubt that it floated a valve or anything, especially since you drove the car around fine the rest of the night. Just remeber that third is up and over from second and you will be fine.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 11:55 AM   #5
GodStang
College Stanger

What ever you shifted at add 1000 RPM's. That is about what you car would be at from 2nd gear to 1st gear. So your probly only around 6000 RPM's. By a Steeda Tri-ax short throw shifter. Makes it easier to get into 3rd.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:12 PM   #6
Chris2000GTvert
Registered Member

Default Thanks all

Thanks a bunch guys. My car seems fine. Was out last night to race it with some kid that hangs out around my town who I thought I could beat. Kid that this worked up mustang 99 gt auto... I thought I had a huge advantage with stick. Apparantly exhaust work and intake and stuff seriously helps though..

It was a fair loss, but let me ask a question...

Im running brand new Dunlop5000 or something tires, if I launch, what rpm do I drop at? And more importantly, do I need to minimize how I push the pedal all through first? Everytime I race without Traction on I wheelspin and need to go straight to 2nd, thats why I always lose. LAst night I raced that kid with traction on, to fix any mistake I might make... and let me tell you.. the light was blinking all through first, and when I chirped second.

Any suggestions? I know I suck at driving, just getting started.

-chris

-Chris
Chris2000GTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 11:19 PM   #7
mlambrecht82
Registered Member

your car should be fine, just don't do it again. Now about launching, all the traction control does is retard the timing if you spin your tires. So always leave the trac control off when racing. Now, as far as getting off the line you would probably be best to launch at 1300 rpms, DON'T DUMP THE CLUTCH, your going to want to feather the clutch out and keep the car in the power band until you get it out all the way. (carful not to turn too many rpms and burn up the clutch, you don't want to ride the clutch a lot, just enough to get you going) You'll want your tires to chirp a little that way you know that your pushing your traction to the limit. If they break loose just feather the gas a little until they hook up again, don't just throw it in second.
The easiest way to get into 3rd from 2nd is to just push the shifter straight forward (don't apply pressure left or right) the springs in the shifter should pull it to line up with 3rd. You will definately want to put a steeda tri-ax shifter in there. It is only $180 and will save you from doing any other damage to your drivetrain. Your car will feel like a whole new car when you put that thing in there. Hope this helps and be careful where you race.

Custom Electronic Exhaust cut outs
Tuning via Diablo Predator
Ported and polished Throttle body and plenum
Line locker (for the smoke shows)
Stock boost
412 rwhp 379 rwtq
mlambrecht82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 09:37 AM   #8
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

With my mostly stock motored '00 GT I launch at about 2500 rpms and slip the clutch to keep from burning out. It's hard not to bog if you launch alot lower than that. Definitely don't dump the clutch or you will sit and spin.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote