MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-22-2003, 08:10 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default Does my stang have a hydraulic clutch?

I was driving today,and in first gear i just stepped on it,when at around 4500 rpm the clutch pedal pressed itself slightly,as that happened i hit redline,and i heard a bang from my exhaust.
After that it smelled like when you're cutting metal with a metal chop saw.Anyway after that the car drove fine,but i told a few coworkers about it,and in the conversation i was asked if the car had a hydraulic clutch or a cable driven one.
Even though i don't know,i told em i was pretty sure it's not a hydraulic clutch.
So i wanna know 2 things.
1-What could be wrong with my clutch based on what happened to me?
And
2- does a 2000 mustang gt have a hydraulic clutch or not?They all say they stopped making cable driven clutches a long time ago.And that hydraulic was standard nowadays.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Los
Registered Member

I thought it was just a cable... mechanical clutch?

You probably had a backfire and fried your clutch good.

If you want speed, buy a Civic.
http://www.bullittzero.com/TRS3/index.php3
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:57 PM   #3
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Backfire happens alot of times(at least i think that's backfire),especially when the engine is still cold,but this time it was loud.Also how can that burn my clutch?And do you think i should replace it?I was gonna buy a king cobra or something and put it in,but to replace the clutch i'll probably have to take off my exhaust and the whole rear end won't i?And i sure as hell ain't gonna pay 800 dollars so some mechanic can f%#k it up.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:16 PM   #4
Los
Registered Member

For a clutch job, they'll just remove:

1. starter
2. H or X pipe
3. transmission

Its actually not that long of a process, its just a ***** to get everything back up, especially the tranny. I'd go with a King Cobra... just make sure that you get the clutch/pressureplate combo. Don't let ANYONE tell you that you can use an 96-98 Cobra upgrade on it.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:24 PM   #5
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

So i don't have to remove the rear end,isn't the driveshaft going right into the transmission?I don't mind doing the labor,i just don't wanna do anything wrong.Of course i'll do ALOT more reasearch before attempting this.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:05 PM   #6
ac97gt
Registered Member

my cousin's 2000 camaro ss has a hydraulic clutch and my 97 GT has a cable. i dont know what yours has, but if your clutch goes in all smooth and easy (like the gas pedal) its hydraulic, and if it has alot of resistance/spring and sorta "pops" in and out so to speak, then it is cable. i havent driven the 2000s to know for sure, but im pretty sure thats how you can tell which is which by driving.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:46 AM   #7
429mustang
Registered Member

Take out the 4 bolts on the rear u-joint and the rear of the driveshaft will drop right out, then slide it out of the trans (you'll probably dump out some trans fluid, but you might as well change the fluid now while everythings apart).
Old 07-23-2003, 03:43 PM   #8
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ac97gt
my cousin's 2000 camaro ss has a hydraulic clutch and my 97 GT has a cable. i dont know what yours has, but if your clutch goes in all smooth and easy (like the gas pedal) its hydraulic, and if it has alot of resistance/spring and sorta "pops" in and out so to speak, then it is cable. i havent driven the 2000s to know for sure, but im pretty sure thats how you can tell which is which by driving.
It's quite hard compared to my friends 2000 z28.

Quote:
Originally posted by 429mustang
Take out the 4 bolts on the rear u-joint and the rear of the driveshaft will drop right out, then slide it out of the trans (you'll probably dump out some trans fluid, but you might as well change the fluid now while everythings apart).
Thanks,i'll keep that in mind.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:43 PM   #9
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

When you say the 'clutch pedal pressed itself slightly' do you mean that it moved without your foot on it or did the clutch just slip and cause the motor to over rev?
Also, if your car backfires alot then you have a serious problem - that's not normal regardless of engine temp.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:43 PM   #10
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

When you say the 'clutch pedal pressed itself slightly' do you mean that it moved without your foot on it or did the clutch just slip and cause the motor to over rev?
Also, if your car backfires alot then you have a serious problem - that's not normal regardless of engine temp.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:49 PM   #11
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

It's not backfire,it just sounds like it.It's like when you turn on your car with open headers,and step on it.And when the rpm return to normal you hear those booms.Every car i ever drive in that condition did that.This time it sounded like that,but worse.(An actual backfire i guess).And yes the pedal went in by itself,but it did it do little that there was no way for the engine to overev.I hit redline because it was first gear,and i got scared when i heard the boom.In that situation i hit redline all of a sudden.But by the time i hit redline the clutchpedal had already returned to normal.It all happened really fast.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:42 PM   #12
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

So does anyone actually know for sure if the 2000 gt has a hydraulic clutch or not?
Old 07-25-2003, 01:34 AM   #13
Los
Registered Member

no.

Old 07-25-2003, 05:37 AM   #14
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Thanks.