MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
Jaber10
Registered Member

Default spark plug wire question

This may be kind of simple but before i install my newly bought MSD plug wires on my 1988 mustang gt....i would like to know which end to connect where. There is a straight end boot and a 90 degree end boot....which end connects to the plugs and which end connects to the distributor.

Also there are only nine spots on the distributor and the set came w/ 10 wires....2 of the wires are listed as coil wires and i only have the one middle spot left on the distributor cap...which wire do i use.

James
Jaber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
J114
Registered Member

Default Re: spark plug wire question

Connect the 90 deg ends to the distributor cap. Match your old coil wire up with one of the new ones to find the proper one. Those sets are universal, one coil wire is usually set up for ignition coil mounted on the intake manifold and the other for fenderwell mounted coil.
J114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
Jaber10
Registered Member

the problem is, i dont have the old wires, i was an idiot and didnt keep them....but one coil wire has a 90 degree end and another 90 degree end w/ like a metal tube sticking out....and it doesnt seem to fit the driver side coil or the distributor cap place b/c the metal tube is too small and wont fit around the nub....and the other coil wire has two 90 degree ends and fits perfectly

as for connecting to the intake i am not sure what you are talking about, i only pulled 9 wires off and dont remember taking one off the manifold

James
Old 05-09-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

u should have 2 new coil wires, plug one end into the middle of the distributer cap, run the other side to your coil. try both new coil wires and use one that is the correct length. it should snap in nice and solid, if not, reverse it. good luck
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
Jaber10
Registered Member

thanks alot man, thats what i was wondering.....so there will be one wire in which i will not use...that helps alot man

Bizzle
Old 05-11-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Yep, one gets thrown away. MEMORIZE THIS: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 that's your firing order. Starting at #1 (prolly marked on the cap) and going counter clockwise on the distributor cap. Longest wires go to #4 and #8, shortest are #1 and #5. Pass side front is #1, then 2-3-4 Driver's side front is #5 then 6-7-8 Keep 'em off the headers!

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #7
Jaber10
Registered Member

Does it matter which length wires i plug to what...i see that you say longest go to four and 8, but does it really matter performance wise as long as you have enough length and are not stretching the wires

James
Old 05-12-2005, 08:48 AM   #8
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Length doesn't matter peformance wise, just as long as the wire is long enough to make the trip from the ditzy cap to the plug, without touching the headers.

MICE need not apply.....

Old 05-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #9
Jaber10
Registered Member

Awesome man, thanks a bunch

james
Old 05-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #10
Jaber10
Registered Member

it doesnt matter if the boot is touching the header, because i have reached a spot on my drives side, 3 plug towards the driver where that is inevitable, none of the wires are touching the headers, but one of the boots is

James
Old 05-13-2005, 08:37 AM   #11
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

i guess u have aftermarket headers? what kind of angle is on the spark plug boots...straight? 90 degrees? 45 degrees? you dont want anything touching headers! i assume the MSD wires are the straight boots they have
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
Old 05-13-2005, 10:20 AM   #12
Jaber10
Registered Member

the end that goes on the spark plug is str8 and i have hooker super competition headers....so the boot touches and it doesnt look like there is any way around it

let me know if you have ne ideas

James
Old 05-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #13
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaber10
the end that goes on the spark plug is str8 and i have hooker super competition headers....so the boot touches and it doesnt look like there is any way around it

let me know if you have ne ideas

James
if the wire touches the header its toast. i believe you said header touching is only a problem with one wire. i would either:

buy a 90 degree boot from msd, cut the straight boot off, and crimp on the new one

or

if you dont wont to crimp of the wire might end up being too short after u alter it, just call up msd and buy a single wire of the correct length and a 90 degree boot

good luck
Old 05-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #14
Jaber10
Registered Member

on these wires one end is 90 degree and the other is about a 3 inch str8 boot, so could for just this one wire i put the str8 end touching the cap and the 90 degree touching the plug, it would look stupid but would it work?

James
Old 05-13-2005, 07:26 PM   #15
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

NEGATIVE! Won't work. The connector is too far down in the boot to reach the connector on the cap. 90* end HAS to go to the cap.

MICE need not apply.....