MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-18-2002, 09:50 PM   #1
Titan
Registered Member

Default Drag Radials vs. 'Z' Rated

I have to get some new tires (2 only) and was wondering which I should get. I have two brand new BFG Z-rated tires (g-force, I think). I was wondering if I should put those on the rear and just go shibby fronts, or should I leave these on the front and get some d/r for the rear. I was looking at the Nitto NT555...but all opinions would be welcome. I am on a budget (christmas present), so none of those firestone indy tires. Thanks in advance

Black on Black 98' GT 5-Speed
Mods = Stuff
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:17 PM   #2
apenn

Default Tire Opinion

The big question is why do you want drag radials? If you are a serious drag racer, be it at the track or on the street, definitely get the drag radials, huge difference at the track compared to street radials from my experience. It sounds like you are not getting a seperate set of wheels, so you will be driving with them full time. That being the case definitely go with the Nitto's. I actually have BFG's (which I love), however I've been hearing that the Nitto's last much longer than the BFG's (3k-5k vs 8k-15k), and they actually give the same or maybe better traction than the BFG's (I've only had BFG's and I swap them when I go to the trace, so I can't compare the two). Now if you are not hitting the track on a regular basis, and really aren't having too much trouble with traction on the street, than I'd definitely go with the Z's because they will last much longer. Now maybe a compromise is going with something like the BFG KD series, which I've heard are VERY sticky, however will last a bit longer than the drag radials and give you better high speed and cornering stability. Good luck with the decision!
Old 09-19-2002, 08:43 AM   #3
Titan
Registered Member

No, I've never been to the track, but I would like to, just to see what I run (and how bad I actually drive my 5-speed). Traction is usually not a problem...I only spin the tires when I want to. I will, however, be doing a lot of interstate driving (mostly high speed). I do want a good gripping tire, but life is more important to me.

Mods = Stuff
Old 09-19-2002, 11:33 AM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

It sounds like you need to go with some good street tires to me.

I have Nitto drag radials on my 5.0. They made about 80 runs down the track with small burnouts before they were toast.

As much driving as it sounds like you do go with street tires.

JMO,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 05:58 PM   #5
Titan
Registered Member

preciate it...which street tires do you recommend? BFG's are pretty steep, and for the price, they don't seem that spectactular--although, I haven't had any others on my car.

Mods = Stuff
Old 09-19-2002, 08:30 PM   #6
apenn

Default BFG's

I need two new tires and am going through the same dilema you are. I've got BFG KDWS's on the car now, and I bought them for better wet traction, and they have been GREAT for that, however I am now thinking of putting the good KDW's on the front and getting something different on the rears for better dry traction. Let me know what you do.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:44 PM   #7
Titan
Registered Member

EXACTLY, I'm the same. I don't really drive my car in the rain, so I don't care about wet traction. I want good dry traction (for burnin rice at lights) along with good long life. I'm still stuck, but I'm looking at the Nitto's, not the d/r...but the z rated. It's cheaper than the BFG's, and I haven't heard many bad things about them. Anybody else?

By the way, noise is not a concern...besides, what can you hear w/ flows and a cranked system?

Mods = Stuff