MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2000, 12:50 PM   #1
Ripper
Registered Member

Question Dragstrip tips and wheel/tire size?

I plan on hitting the dragstrip this spring. I have a 99gt, 5 spd, with 17" wheels, and I will have my subs, pulleys,and maybe a x-pipe with cats by then. Can anyone give me some tips on launch strategy or even an idea of what my 60ft/.25 mile times should be? I'm going to buy a spare set of rear rims and tires. Should I get the same size wheel/tire or should I consider slicks? I eventually want to lower the car an inch and go to an 18" wheel. Will lowering the car affect my ability to use slicks? Thanks.
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2000, 10:14 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Hey Ripper,
Glad to have another racer aboard...;-)
Near stock on street tires will probably have you landing in the low 14s.
As I have found out last weekend, drag radials will be a must if you want decent traction off the line, regular street tires just don't cut it.
I'm currently looking at getting some Hoosier DRs just for the track. I'll probably keep my launches down to 3000-3500 rpm range due to my stock drive shaft and axles.
Here's some reaction and 60 ft times from my stock 17 inch Goodyears:
Reaction: Hovers around .6 sec
60 ft: Hovers around 2.3 sec on good launch

Tips that I learned...
Never wait until the light is actually green, considering that the time between that last yellow and the green in .5 seconds, if you go on green, you've already lost. I usually hit it when I see the last yellow light up.

I also hang around 2000 rpm waiting for the light with my street tires. Any more usually has me fighting for traction, any less tends to make me a little too slow off the line.

If you are running on stock street tires, you're gonna burn em off the line, there's nothing you can really do about it unless you granny it. The key is when they cut loose from the line, quickly work your clutch and gas to find traction again and nail it.

Get your tires as warm as possible before you line up by doing the obligatory burn out, I realise that you can see those expensive tires going up in smoke, but it saved me .15 seconds in my 60 ft.

Hope this helps....
Now back to finding some wheels for my DRs and subs...;-)

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2000, 08:56 AM   #3
Ripper
Registered Member

Cool

Hammer,
Thanks. Yes, I don't like the thought of my $200/ea tires going up in smoke. I knew that if I went to the track with them that couldn't leave the line too much above 2000rpm and then have to granny it out. I'm looking for some older mustang 17in rims and will buy some drag radials. Are Hoosiers the best? Cost? I see a lot of guys going with Nitto. My pulleys from Steeda should be here in a day or two.

Ripper
Old 03-03-2000, 09:58 AM   #4
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Wink

Nittos and the like are pretty close to every day tires if you live in a good weather section of North America. Good daily driver qualities, decent wet grip, and good tread life, for a competition tire. (MR50 uses Firestone Firehawks, which are in the same arena.)

I'm looking at the Hoosier R3S03 Drag Radials. These are definately not daily drivers.... Just enough tread design on them to be DOT legal, they are stickier and seem to hook great on the track. You also won't get a lot of miles out of them...;-)(A friend of mine uses them...)
If you plan on changing your tires the night before, drive to the track, make your runs, come home and take them off, my opinion is to buy some true drag radials.

If you want EXTREMELY good street tires, Nittos and Firehawks seem to be good bets.

You can find the Hoosier R3S03s and the Firestone Firehawks at www.tirerack.com

Hope this helps

------------------
98 GT
Dyno-Max cat-back exhaust, 3.73 gears, Steeda shifter, Ford Motorsport Underdrive pullies, 87mm MAF and Roush cold air kit...

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited 03-03-2000).]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2000, 06:10 PM   #5
Ripper
Registered Member

Thanks! I will be getting some extra rims so I'll take your advice and go with the Hoosiers.
Old 03-03-2000, 06:45 PM   #6
93CobraR
Registered Member

Ripper don't get 17 rims for the strip, Go out and buy a used set of old 5 lug, 15 inch mustang rims,ect.... and get a set of M/T for like $150 a peice then you should see mid 13's with the ability to luanch at 5000, on stock or other radials you willl have to luanch at IDLE or you will go up in smoke. Good luck!

------------------
87 Gt with 4 inch cowl hood, dark charcole grey, long tube headers,off road h-pipe, 2 chamber flows,BBK cold air intake, Mass air coversion(ported stock MAF), 1 intake spacer, Hypertech superchip, MAC underdrive pulleys,Pro 5.0 shifter, and a King Cobra clutch,Crane adjustable fuel press. regulator, Mac Strut and Tower Brace. Powertrax locker, 4.10's (new for this season)
Best time 14.91
Best MPH 103

Visit my site at:
http://www.geocities.com/cobrar93_20...l?947947194470
93CobraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2000, 01:43 PM   #7
Ripper
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Thanks 93CobraR! I'll go with the 15in. Mid 13s sounds pretty good. By the end of the year I hope to have 3.73s. With the smaller rims it'll probably feel like I have 4.11s or something.