MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-25-2001, 11:30 AM   #1
bark3rd
Registered Member

Cool Drove 200 Camaro SS

I got tired of my chevy buddies talking smack (they drive S 10's anyway) about camaros so I went to check it out for myself. I drove a 200 SS 6 spd for about 30 min and gave it hell. The car looks awesome but just did not feel as fast as mine. The power delivery is very turbine-like (boring) and not very exhilarating to drive when you are used to a GT. I know smoothness can sometimes make you feel like you are going slower than reality but I dont see this car beating me to 80 mph (after that if you really rev it it felt a tiny bit stronger). I launched it hard many times and it tracks really straight, shifting into 3rd was a leap of faith with all those other gears but I only missed once. the car was also very quiet, I could barely hear it. I didnt find the cockpit very comfortable and the turn signal lever felt like it would snap off any second. The car looks cool though and I got lots of stares (I miss t tops) but I can finally stop wondering if I would be happier in an SS! My car drives, sounds, and feels much more like a race car than the camaro. Plus, this 9000 mi used car was on sale for $27500- I paid 18K for mine with 4k miles on it with every option. I've spent about $1k on mods and I'll race that car as is any day! I tried to talk the salesman (cocky and condescending about my Ford) into a race but he was too busy, maybe next time. Anybody else out there driven an SS?

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's,flowmasters Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster, K&N filter
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 11:51 AM   #2
VNAMUS in VA
Registered Member

My fiancee is a mechanic at a Chevy dealership (he works on crap-he doesn't drive it). He gets to drive SSs, Z28s, Impalas, etc. Everyday, he comes home thanking the heavens for his 88 GT! He tells me about the cars he has to fix/drive - he never seems impressed w/ GM cars....what a surprise.
VNAMUS in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 05:42 PM   #3
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

Ok, you've got a feel for the LS1 and didn't like it. But, don't fool yourself and not think ... stock for stock the Camaro SS is a beast compared to the GT.

Trust me ... looking at your mods. It is as fast as yours if not faster with an average driver.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 11:23 AM   #4
bark3rd
Registered Member

I hear ya, the main point I was trying to make is that it just doesnt feel faster. Like I said in my post, smoothness can fool you and the SS was very smooth compared to my twitchy and feisty GT. I would love to race one, it seems like every time I see one on the street a chick is driving and wont race. I wonder what the stats are on male vs female ownership on Gts vs SS-I swear I've seen at least 15 of them always with a girl driver (no offense intended here for girls, I've had my head handed to me at the track several times by women). One thing I will admit, gears would probably make a huge difference in the way an SS feels to drive. OK dammit!!! I admit it!! I bought the damn SS and now I drive it, I'm just spying on mustang boards so I can stay ahead!! Leave me alone!!

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's,flowmasters Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster, K&N filter
bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote