MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-18-2001, 02:52 PM   #1
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Angry Got Rear-Ended, What To Look For?

Yesterday on my way to work I got rear ended by a early 90's Sunbird while waiting for a stop light. I racked my head of my T-top being that it's only 3/4" from my head to the glass top. The seat rail bent, guess they're not designed for 6'7" 300lb drivers. Other than that there is no other apparent damage to either cars.

I got the girl's info and everything seemed like it was fine, there wasn't even a rub mark or paint mark. So we both decided not to worry and if there is a problem for me to contact her. So far looking under the car everything appears alright, and it drives fine.

Is there anything else I should look closely at, or look for in particular? I could use some help on this cuz if there is a problem, I'd like to get things fixed asap.
86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 06:20 PM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

You may want to go to a frame shop and have them look at it. She'll have to pay for that.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2001, 07:19 PM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

86, since you have a t-top and I don't they they are much more structually sound than a convertible, I would take a look at the roof and the doors.

I got rear ended once, got out, looked and saw no damage to the bumber. I let the guy go. I got home later and noticed that the door was bent and the jamb was bent. It actually broke my door hing bushings. One of my dings actually popped completely in because of the collision.

Those are just some suggestions.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 12:09 AM   #4
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Definetly go have the frame checked out. It could be bent and u not know it. It happend to a freinds truck of mine. We got hit really hard though.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 01:32 AM   #5
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Just a quick update, had my brother (licenced mechanic) check out the frame, and as he put it the sub frame connectors are what kept the frame from being bent or worse things happening. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 05-19-2001, 02:18 AM   #6
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation

Hey 86GT, what a bummer! 85-86 GT's are my favorite of all the fox body. i wish i had that than my 90 LX. Anyways, listen to thee rest of the guys, go to the frame shop! oh by the way, after the accident, did you take off the tops? if you did, did the go right back into place? if they didnt, then you need some work done. IF YOU DIDNT TAKE THEM OUT, thats even better, dont. let me tell you why in case you didnt know. if the frame is twisted, those t-tops actually keep the rest of the car from twisting or bending even more. so whatever you do, DONT TAKE THE TOPS OFF! make sure you go to a reputable place. if they know their stuff, they wont take them off at all until the aligned the frame. after that, then you can take them off. if they found nothing wrong with the car, then you can take them off. i thought i would pass this info on, cause i seen what happens to cars like yours.
srv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 08:04 PM   #7
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by srv1:
Hey 86GT, what a bummer! 85-86 GT's are my favorite of all the fox body. i wish i had that than my 90 LX. Anyways, listen to thee rest of the guys, go to the frame shop! oh by the way, after the accident, did you take off the tops? if you did, did the go right back into place? if they didnt, then you need some work done. IF YOU DIDNT TAKE THEM OUT, thats even better, dont. let me tell you why in case you didnt know. if the frame is twisted, those t-tops actually keep the rest of the car from twisting or bending even more. so whatever you do, DONT TAKE THE TOPS OFF! make sure you go to a reputable place. if they know their stuff, they wont take them off at all until the aligned the frame. after that, then you can take them off. if they found nothing wrong with the car, then you can take them off. i thought i would pass this info on, cause i seen what happens to cars like yours.
LOL I guess you shouldn't take them off, huh??

------------------
Joe!
1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:
www.joe4speed.com
1999 Ninja ZX-6R 10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph

[This message has been edited by JL1314 (edited 05-19-2001).]
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 10:50 AM   #8
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

Smile

Thanks for the advice everyone! I took the car in yesterday to a good friend of mine's frame shop, its an hour and a half drive but hey, I needed the time to myself. Anyways, he said everything checks out, and I drove home with the tops out.

I just wanna say thanks to everyone that replied so promptly with great advice. Its very much appreciated.