MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-15-2001, 09:00 PM   #1
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Question Early 4.6 Mod motors, are they worth using?

I think I know the answer to this question, but I want to ask it anyway. I understand the 4.6 SOHC V8 engine was available in 1992 in the Crown Victorias, Town Cars, etc. Are they worth rebuilding and running in a Fox body Mustang or stick with '96-later 4.6 SOHC or DOHC motors?
Old 11-17-2001, 07:50 PM   #2
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Question

Any Mod motor experts out there? Someone has got to know something about the '92 and later 4.6 Mod SOHC motors available in the Lincoln Town Cars and Crown Victorias. I went to the junk yard today and there were plenty of early SOHC motors there. Most of them where missing their intake manifolds. I'm in love with this motor and I might buy one for Christmas and send it to Sean Hyland for work. Anyone out there know anything about these early 4.6 SOHC Mod motors?
Old 11-18-2001, 03:51 AM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I believe the early 4.6's are the same as the pre 99 4.6's as in terms of block casting, heads, mounts and such. Not sure about compression ratio's or Piston Types.

I'm probably wrong, but I do believe Cam grinds were diffrent between models, and the Cam specs changed in 98 for the 4.6 Mustang. The cams for the 99+ 4.6's are diffrent also, they have less duration on the intake side, but more lift.

I wish there were more books out on the 4.6 Liters. I would love to know more about the engine, and the cam specs per year per model, and engineering tidbits. You can find a billion books on the Small block Fords, Its time they made some on the Mod Motors.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote