MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-24-1999, 11:08 AM   #1
kg2hk
Registered Member

Exclamation EEC-V & Theft Mode

I had this unpleasant and embarrasing experience on Saturday and I was curious if anyone with a 99/00 GT has experienced this.

I changed my gears to 3.73 and user a SHMS speedo recalibration unit. Prior to this day I had ALWAYS turned off the traction control prior to driving. I drove the car on the highway for appox. 15 miles at 65-70 MPH when all of a sudden all dash gauges jumped to maximum and them minimum readings 2 times about a minute apart, then the theft light came on, and then the car shut down. I was able to reset the EEC-V from theft mode with roadside ass't help. I continued on my journey without the traction control and the same thing happened again about 15-20 Miles later.

I dumped the battery and let the car sit for an hour. I was able to drive the car with the traction control off for 60 mile journey home without a single problem.

Anyone know if there is some kind of bug with taction control and modified axle ratios? Any way to defeat it? Could anything else cause this problem?

------------------
99 Laser Red GT
Mods: 70mm TB, Level 10 Chip, FMS 3.73's, Sean Hyland Speedo Recalibration kit, Pro 5.0 Shifter, & Pro-M 77mm MAF.
DynoJet: 242HP/286 Lb/ft
Best 1/4: 13.839@99.1MPH on radials.
kg2hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-1999, 11:58 PM   #2
RedGTvert
Registered Member

Could be your speed compensator.

I have heard all sorts of issues with them.

I use an Abbott ERA and have not had a problems, but you explanation of the gauges jumping all over could have been with that.

Did you try running with the ECT on?

Don't know if it is the comensator, but as I said I have heard some weird things happing with the EEC-V in the 99/00's.

Keep us posted when you resolve problem.

RedGTvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-1999, 11:43 AM   #3
kg2hk
Registered Member

Exclamation

Just an update:

I ran the same leg of highway that the EEC-V died on me over the weekend. I replicated everything except the rain ( I can't control that) and I made two passes - one with and one without the traction control. It never failed.

The only thing I can think of is that a code that a traction control event occured, floats in the EEC-V and some how causes an engine error. Since it wasn't raining during my tests and the traction control never tripped, I can only assume that this is why the car never died.

The lesson here is: DON'T use traction control if you have modified you gear ratio or DON'T DRIVE YOUR 'STANG IN THE RAIN!

------------------
99 Laser Red GT
Mods: 70mm TB, Level 10 Chip, FMS 3.73's, Sean Hyland Speedo Recalibration kit, Pro 5.0 Shifter, & Pro-M 77mm MAF.
DynoJet: 242HP/286 Lb/ft
Best 1/4: 13.839@99.1MPH on radials.
kg2hk is offline   Reply With Quote