MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-05-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Routing electric fuel pumps

I am sure some of you have been reading how I have ended up wrenching on a 408w equipped 91 lx. Here is the deal.

The owner (my buddy) decided last winter he wanted to run an electric fuel pump to the carbed motor, which is where the black Holley fuel pump comes in. Then he decided he was going to run a dedicated fuel line for the nitrous shot (later to be used), this is where the Holley blue pump comes in. Now here are two big questions and since I prefer mechanical pumps....I need some help.

Since the car is now carbed and has a rear sump fuel tank, we have the two lines. The regular fuel line is there along with the fuel injected pressure return line. Is there any reason why we can not use the old return line as the dedicated nitrous line for the Blue Holley pump? Someone tried to tell my buddy the two pumps sucking that close together would starve one of the lines. I find this hard to believe, but again, this is a new area to me.

Second, when he routes the lines and pumps from the rear sump tank, we want to avoid having the electric fuel pumps sticking down where they can be seen below the rear bumper line. Where has everyone else ran their lines? There has to be a way to hide them. We considered mounting them in the rear spare tire well, but then we are introducing fuel to the passenger compartment in a way and that would also put the pumps above the tank, which I can’t see as being good for performance.

Some say we need to mount a small fuel cell in the engine compartment for the nitrous line, but we hate that idea. His engine compartment is rather clean and orderly, and the idea of a fuel cell up there is not appealing.
Thanks guys,
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Re: Routing electric fuel pumps

Holley suggests mounting the pump on the inside of the frame rail at the same level or below the bottom of the fuel tank and as close to the tank as possible.

Now, having said that, I have to admit that I have mine mounted along with a large inline filter inside the trunk about an inch higher than the top of the tank (the trunk floor). Ive run it this way for years now without a problem. I realize that this is not the safest place for it but have been too lazy (or stupid) to relocate it to the inside of the frame rail under the car where it really belongs.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Default Re: Routing electric fuel pumps

I will have to look, but I think his exhaust runs pretty close to that frame rail. That exhaust is being pulled for some dumps, so maybe it will work. Guess I will look and see.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote