MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-06-2001, 05:32 PM   #1
EVLHRSE
Registered Member

Thumbs down Electrical Gremlin

When attempting to start the completely redone car. Motor, suspension, drivetrain, ignition, battery in trunk, the motor won't crank. Then all of a sudden smoke pours in from under the car. Where the parking brake lines meet the parking brake handle thing under the car, looks like a T, it is smoking. There is no electrical anything touching anything to do with my e-brake. What is going on. Where is this bad boy grounding out. This is the last step before spring and I can't start the new steed. Please help.

------------------
306, crazy cam, Tremec TKO, Centerforce DF & billet flwheel, NOS 150 shot, Ported Upper & Lowers, Edelebrock Performer RPM, griffin radiator, ten point cage, Autometer up the @ss, Suspension by Maximun Motorsports $$$, Richmond 3:55's, Auburn Pro w/ 31 spline Mosers, alum. drvshft, Powerslots, 73mm calipers, ss lines, rear disc conversion, You get the drift,,,
EVLHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 05:45 AM   #2
moosejaw
Registered Member

You relocated the battery so check your ground connections. Battery to chassis and Motor to chassis. Large gauge, at least 1 or 1/0.

Verify the starter relay is firmly attached to the chassis (grounded). Your brake cable could be drooping onto the driveshaft and the starter could be grounding up the cable to the chassis. Do you have rubber mounts or solid? Basically check all the ground paths and hook ups again for proper polarity. Have an independent source check these for you to remove doubt from yourself.

There is a parking brake light contactor attached to the brake handle but that should blow the fuse pretty fast.

Have you had your ignition switch recall done yet? Yes I know the smoke was under neath but this could be a side problem as a result of your existing problem.

Mike

------------------
Live near St.Louis?
Check out Mustang Muscle and Dyno in High Ridge, MO
Check out my ride.
moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote