MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-13-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
Stang951
Registered Member

Default Electrical gremlin...I need an exorcist

A little history first. I reinstalled all of my amplifiers onto a new amp rack in the trunk. The battery and solenoid are there. The only wires that were disconnected during this were the main wire to the amplifier distribution block and the ground cables to the amplifiers. Then I put in my dead pedal and noticed that when I tapped it the car power flickered. I cheked everything, but could not find a problem.
Here's the problem. I get power to the accessories in the acc position of the key. When I put the key in the run position I get nothing sometimes and power to everything sometimes. But when I try to start it all the power goes away. I tried all of the following:
1. replacing the ignition switch.
2. jumping the neutral safety switch.
3. I have the dash out to get to everything easier now.
4. jumping the relay - engages the starter just fine
5. The start wire to the solenoid is not getting any juice.
The car was a 2.3 converted so I think there is an aux gear safety switch for the transmission, but I cant find where it is...
Any help is mucho appreciated....so much for the cruise night tonight.

I have also checked a couple of very hard to read wiring diagrams, and am leaning toward a possible fusible link problem. And when I tapped the clutch pedal by accident the power went away, and then came back.
Suspension:
Maximum Motorsports Caster-Camber Plates / Maximum Motorsports adjustable lower control arms / FRPP heavy duty upper control arms / Tokico Illumina Shocks and Struts / Ground Pounder Coil Over conversion kit front / Steeda cross brace sub-frame connectors /
Drivetrain:
Tremec 3550 trans / Steeda Tri-Ax shifter / Spec Stage II clutch and pressure plate / Spec aluminum flywheel /

5.8 in the hole
Stang951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:22 PM   #2
PKRWUD

I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly, but let me offer you a few notes. First off, when you turn the ignition switch to the Start position, all power to the accessories is supposed to be cut off. This is done to assure that the starter is getting the full attention of the battery.

Other than that, it sounds like a bad ground problem some where. I would double check the negative battery cable, both where it attaches to the battery and the vehicle. I would make sure there is a good ground strap between the body and the engine, and between the engine and the frame.

When this occurs, do you lose all power to everything, or just your amps? Does this prevent the engine from starting? Have you tested your grounds and power leads when this problem occurs?
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote