MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-19-2005, 08:05 AM   #1
urstangsmoke
Addict

Default emissions

i live in massachusetts and have some tough emissions to pass. i have an '03 GT with long tubes and catted h-pipe (well, one of my cats flew out my tailpipe one day so i punched out the other, so no cats really) with flowmasters, a 75 mm TB, upper intake plenum and fenderwell intake. my dummy light is on (obviously) ... im getting gears in a few weeks (3.73's) and a tune as a necessary the week after. any idea if it'll pass emissions with a good tune?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
mark sweetser
96GREENGT

Default Re: emissions

I've got a 96 GT w/ a bassani (catalytic)x pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters w/ a 8# Powerdyne supercharger. I've passed sniff tests in MD (supposedly strict also), and NV. The car registered about 1/3 of the allowable limit (fairly low for a modded car). But, that's w/ the cats. You may be be cutting it a little close w/ out cats to be honest, but then again you've got a fairly new car. I would get a cat x or h for the test to be safe, and take it back off after. That way, you'll have it whenever you need a smog ck again. Good luck...ps how much did you pay for your gears? I ordered some from mustang tuning.com and payed $225 (w/ $35 install kit). Also got the 3.73's, can't wait. Sucks gas prices are souring though! Also, how did you like the c&l plenum and 75mm TB? Worth the $? I thought of getting them also.

Last edited by mark sweetser; 03-19-2005 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: gears inquiry
mark sweetser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
urstangsmoke
Addict

i paid $200 including shipping for my gears from dallas mustang, check out the site. the 75 mm TB might have been too big, if i did it again i would do the 70 mm.but otherwise the combo is great, the butt-o-meter saysthere is a noticable (relatively speaking) difference. i know i'd be cuting it close w/o the cats, but ill give it a shot anyways, if not ill get the catted H. your car sounds like it's running great, if only 1/3 of allowable amount was detected
Old 03-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
mark sweetser
96GREENGT

you think the 75mm is too big? i was on c&l's website last night http://www.cnlperformance.com/plenum03.html)and saw dyno runs w/ plenums and 70mm and 75mm respectively. the 75mm made 30 cfm more and more power throughout the whole rpm range . anything to keep in mind on the install, things you may have goofed? how long did install take you? you ever dyno'ed your car? what are you gettin next? later, man.
-'96 GTS Deep Forest Green Metallic- 8#Powerdyne,Bassani Cat-X,2 chamber Flows, FMS alum. DS,Kenne Brown subframes,Pro 5.0 short throw,FRPP 3.73's,Accufab Plenum/75mm TB,11# blower pulley,Bassani mid headers,Eibach 1.5" springs,17" Cobra R's w/ 275/40zr-17 g-force kd's,Centerforce Dual Friction
-'87 Black LX 5.0
BBK shorties&Cat-X,2 chamber Flows,MSD ign,stock 3.08's,MGW short-throw,BBK cold-air,King Cobra clutch,235/55-17(F)&255/50-17(R) Kumho Ecsta's on 95 Cobra R 4-lugs
mark sweetser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
urstangsmoke
Addict

i've talked to some people who's opinions are pretty respectable, and they all told me that 75mm is great if you run ported heads or s/c applications, but 70 would be optimal for n/a aplications. i mean im still definitely happy with it though. i've never run it on the dyno, although i dyno tune is coming soon. expecting close to 300 HP after the tune. maybe 290. the install on the TB and plenum for me was about 45 mins, pretty simple. only thing is either spend a few dollars for a new TPS sensor or have an impact wrench for the old one. dont know where to go from here, maybe some suspension upgrades or 31 spline axles, strengthen the rear end.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: