Thread: exhaust
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 12:30 PM   #5
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Exhaust

U Say You Want loud and aggressive?

I saw SLP Mentioned in a previous Post.... And I'm not downing on SLP (they have some good stuff) but SLP has been primarily dealing with GM vehicles for the past ?? Years and It seems to me that since GM is no Longer producing SLP Primary source of income, Firebird and Camaro, that they want a piece of the Ford Market... So among other things they are new to the ford game.... That is reason enough for me not to buy anything slp for a ford Vehicle... But The person who posted before me was right it is loud... but theres no way they have had time to test their products like the existing and numerous companys who specialize in ford products....

Sorry for the preaching but i said that to say this.... People Like X-pipes because of the exotic Sound they produce, the offroad x that is.... The X-pipe with catalytic converts sounds very very similair to a catted H with very minimal Differences (i.e. not worth the money difference)... Personally i have a Off-road Bassani X-Pipe And 2 Chamber Flowmasters on my 96 Cobra... So If in fact u do not have to deal with emissions stuff and u want a loud sound I'd go with and Offroad X ***(Don't forget when u remove catalytic Converters u lose a little low end torque but u gain a good amount of top in power) Also, there is more than one type of X pipe... BBK and Bassani's Designs Have more of a Chambered X, where as DR. GAS Magnaflow, and Some of the others have a X That is basically 2 pipes with a section cut out welded side by side.... Personally I don't like that for a couple of reasons (one it looks cheap, and I like the Chambered X sound better but it does cost more) But before you decide on a mid pipe (h or x) u need to decide what kind of mufflers to get...

... Are you a Chambered muffler fan or A straight through muffler fan? There is a big difference... An Offroad X with A straight through Muffler is going to have a good sound, but its very different from a chambered muffler sound... I personally Like the aggressive deep rumble of a chambered muffler with the X... It does pop a little more than a straight through muffler, but In a way that just adds to the sound... If u are new to exhaust then you'll probably hear lots of people say that Offroad X and a Chambered muffler sounds terrible... And that is because it pops.... and because its so loud compairable to an O/R H with a chambered muffler.... It sounds So very different on the outside of the car than it does on the inside.... So Say u had a mustang with a offroad H with 2 chamber flowmasters and another car with an offroad x with 2 chamber flowmasters.... and they were driving down the road and u were standing 25 yards away from them... The car with the H and flows would be loud... but the x and flows would be 3 times louder *(my oppinnion) than the h with flows.... The h would have a more low bass sound and its pops in the sound are much smaller.... the x has a Stronger Higher pitched bass with larger pops but only when the engine speed decreases it doesn't really pop when revving.... The straight through muffler isn't going to sound as good from Idle to say 3,500 RPM...(at WOT (wide open throttle) the striaght through muffler sounds very very good... The chambered muffler sounds good from idle to redline (my oppinnion once again)(The only thing i disliked *(at first only, i love it now) Is the popping from about 2,600 - 3,250 RPM. But that is because my car is a cobra The secondary valves open up at 3,250 RPM so i guess the primary valves were a little smaller therefore under more straign ...

This is sort of getting long and i don't want to bore you so i'ma try and end it up with this.... If your new to exhaust but u want the car loud and money isn't an issue, I would buy a Catted X from Bassani (the stainless one of course, it doesnt' rust and it always looks good).... and when u get it put on make sure the muffler shop u go to doesn't weld the catalytic converts on... make sure they use the clamps (included in the kit).... Weld the rest of the system up (to mufflers and tips and all)... And drive the car that way for a coupla days or a week or 2.... and if it isn't lound enough for you go back and take the cats off.... there you go.... But if money is an option, and your worried that u may not like the exhaust, its better to be safe then sorry, so i recommend either an offroad x and a straight through muffler (i.e. bassani, steeda, borla, magnaflow, etc...) or either a offroad Prochamber from mac (its an H pipe with a new and more effienct design) and a chambered muffler Such as (flowmaster, Mac, or Spintech)...

I know this is long but i have one more thing to say... I know exhaust is expensive and getting it put on is a hassel and is expensive.... so i recommend before doing anything go to www.mustangexhaust.com and listening to every sound file they have... and make up your mind for your self.... but i do have to say that the sound files that they have of an o/r X and a chambered muffler doesn't do the exhaust justice.... Thats about it, i think i covered everything.... Oh yeah one more things... The factory Manifolds make the exhaust more raspy and higher pitch... so if you plan on getting a set of long tub headers or shorty headers the exhaust will smoothen out and have more bass to it.... Ok now... fewwwwww... That should be it... I'm pretty sure i've covered everything... i feel like i jumped around a little with the info but i hope it helps you decide (because exhaust the the most important thing on a mustang! :P ) If u have any questions feel free to e-mail me @ svt_snake@hotmail.com .... Good luck!
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote