Thread: exhaust
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2003, 01:56 PM   #10
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Post Answer to ac97gt

ac97gt,

As to your question about taking the cats off, there are several things to say. One, Remember if you have the Stainless version of the Bassani X then the mufflershop may give you some kind of crap about not being able to cut it... I was going to buy the catted version and see how much louder it got then if it wasn't loud enough take the cats off... But when i went to the shop to ask my muffler guy about it, he said he wouldn't do it because its stainless... And when i say that i'm not saying its not possible i'm simply saying "HE" wouldn't do it, lots of places do i'm sure. As it turns out i'm glad i did buy the off road. And by the way it was around $342 for Off-road and $522 Catted when i got mine... Two, if you have the catted X and you cut the cats off then your gonna have to weld a peice of pipe in place of the cats, and i'm not sure how metalergy works but Stainless steel and Aluminzed steel should weld up with no problems... I'm sure you could probably get a section of stainless steel if u wanted instead of Aluminzed... it might cost but then again, what doesnt... Three, U may want to find someone who has an offroad x with flows and hear their car before you decide to do it... Because When i saw 3x louder... I really mean that... It sounds 100% different inside the car, and somepeople don't like it because its so loud... It does pop, so if your scared of that, don't take the cats off...but its 3x louder outside the car... Four, As to emissions, i've heard alot of guys not passing emission with catted x pipes... Some had modified motors, some didn't.... It all depends on how your setup and how its running when its tested.... I know one guy who passed an emissions test with an offroad X but he had the car running real efficient low temp fans, thermostats, and had it A/F tuned out the butt... but thats only one out of 100 cases ... an extreme anomoly... But if u say u may sell the car before u get tested again... I say go for it... Let me warn you one last time tho... Its a really different sound... well not different as in sound but level of sound... Personally I love it, but i've heard of lots of people hating it and a lot of people loving... so your just gonna have to decide for your self... Goodluck Either Way You Go...
Ported Factory Heads, New Performance valvetrain , BBK 62MM TB, Sean Hyland Spec Stage One Cams, Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch, Steeda Tri-ax, Mac Cold Air, Saleen Wheels (18x9 & 18x10), Among other things...

"I Like anything Fast Enough to Do Something Stupid In"
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote