Thread: exhaust
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2003, 12:55 PM   #14
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE
Registered Member

Default Headers...

I just wanted to make a quick comment about the headers statement... If you bought them simply to make your car louder... then you might wanna sell them... Headers don't make your exhaust louder, it may have a little more bass because it comes out more smoothly, but it may infact make your exhaust more quiet...Headers don't change the level of sound, they only change how it comes out by allowing it come out more smoothly (less restrictions)... Headers were never developed to enhance the sound of a motor (unfortunately :P ), they were developed to provide a more free breathing exhaust system so the motor wouldn't have to work as hard on getting the exhaust out and more on providing power for the drivetrain... Its simple physics guys... Just think about it.... a Factory manifold is basically a long hollowed out slab of iron or steel with connecting pipes equal length from one another coming from each exhaust port on the motor which then goes to the top or side of the manifold which is a single tube....and the exhaust only exits from one end of the manifold.... which comes out a single pipe to a connector which connects to the H or X (midpipe). Headers (Shorties or Full lengths) have individual exhaust pipes leading to a connector which then goes to the H or X pipe... With the manifold everytime an exhaust port fires and pushes its exhaust out into the manifold the other cylinders on that bank have to fight to push their gas out a single pipe at one end of the manifold... therefore causing restriction not to mention a sound creating affect when the sound has to bounce around the manifold before it exits (((((same idea as a Sub woofer in an audio system, it sounds like crap when the speaker is not in a box(its trying to push nonspecific or nonchanneled air), ,but when its in a box it rocks off..)))) (((((also same idea as a Virtualtech Box, you know the Subwoofer box designed by N.A.S.A. Or some counterpart thereof which makes the air and sound waves bounce around through a maze inside the box, before exiting, causing reverberation which inturn makes more quality bass and sound. Not to mention Virutaltech sub boxes are, if i'm not mistaken, the best in the world)))) ... where as the headers don't cause restriction because the exhaust gasses don't have to fight to get out (this is where headers make HP over factory manifolds... Its kinda funny i don't see any aftermarket Exhaust Manifolds for sale ...), and there is less reverberation when the exhaust sound and gasses are moving through the headers...

So i Say all that to say this... Depending what you mean when you say loud, If you mean loud as in the bass or high pitched Roar, it may sound different than u think... With shorties you may not even be able to tell a difference at all... Full Lengths may be a different story... I'm Not trying to be a pesimist, i'm just trying to warn you ahead of time so maybe you'll be able to sell them and use the cash for something else... because as you know, they aren't cheap to buy or install...

As to a previous post... My exhaust can't be too loud either... I have about as loud as i can get without sacrificing quality of sound... I have a bunch of friends with all different combos of exhaust setups and mine is still about the loudest out there, that being compaired with similiar motors (4.6L SOHC and DOHC from 96-03 Models). I have an offroad bassani X pipe and 2 chamber original flowmasters (not delta flows). There is only one friend that i can think of who has louder exhaust than i do... BBK Full Length 1 5/8" Long Tube Headers, Bassani Offroad X, and 1 chamber Race flowmasters. Not to mention his is only a little louder than mine... His is nastly loud, Sounds like a nascar or something @WOT ... Plus hes got a little motor work done... Pushing like 380Hp at the wheels... on a 97 Cobra....

Man it always seems like my short "quick comment" posts are long as hell doesn't? I'ma stop now, you guys are probably asleep.... lol... Take it easy fellas, if its easy take it twice...
Ported Factory Heads, New Performance valvetrain , BBK 62MM TB, Sean Hyland Spec Stage One Cams, Dual Friction Centerforce Clutch, Steeda Tri-ax, Mac Cold Air, Saleen Wheels (18x9 & 18x10), Among other things...

"I Like anything Fast Enough to Do Something Stupid In"
WHITE_SVT_SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote