MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-05-2001, 06:47 PM   #1
Laser Red '01 GT

Post Exhaust modifications and warranty

My Ford dealer tells me that if i change exhaust for an aftermarket one my drive train warranty will be void. The only exception is if i use a Ford Motorsport one. I have a 2001
GT, does anyone know anything about the Ford Motorsport exhaust. I was thinking about a BBK X pipe with cats and a MAC cat back system, keeping my original factory setup to put back on if i get problems later and need to warranty the motor or transmission. If i remove the rear springs and shocks can i get the factory exhaust out in one piece easily enough so i can store it just incase. I really want to put on aftermarket equipment because stock sounds so weak and feeble but i don't want to compromise my warranty. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:11 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

The law is that the presence of after-market parts does not void any warrenty unless the dealer can demostrate that the aftermarket parts caused the failure.

However, your local Ford dealer can be and often is a real *** about this sort of thing. If they're are any other Ford places around call or go and ask in the service department what the deal is. Some are much more friendly about modifications then others.
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 09:24 AM   #3
98SNAKE
Registered Member

I work at an exhaust shop and a I welded in my Flowmasters, and took of my stock H for a BBK X pipe. So all I have to do is swap out my X pipe for my H pipe if I need to take my car in. They will not give you any problems for just aftermarket mufflers. So if you can settle for stock tails, and weld in a set of MAC mufflers you will be safe. Will

------------------
98Cobra
off road x-pipe, flowmasters, 3.73 rear end(4.30's soon),Mac Cold Air,Ripper Shifter, Nitto Drag Radials
98SNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 11:19 AM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

In order to get the stock catback off in one piece, you would need to drop your rearend.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 07:56 PM   #5
Mustangmom2k
Registered Member

Thumbs up

LaserRed---Brace yourself, this is gonna be long. I had the exact same question posted in the Female Forum, and got this link from Dark Knight. He is forevermore my hero! http://www.alternativeauto.com/water.../warranty.html
Go there and print out the info and keep it with your warranty papers. It applies to any modification.

Now then, I also quote directly from my onwer's manual (probably identical to yours) on page 22: "NOTE: FEDERAL WARRANTY ONLY The maintenance, replacement, or repair of emissions control devices or systems, the cost of which is not covered by the warranties, can be performed by any automotive repair establishment or individual using non-Ford parts."

"For vehicles within the warranty period, Ford will repair at no cost to the owner, under Federal Emissions warranty, covered emission failures caused by properly installed Ford parts or non-Ford parts that have been 'certified' by the US EPA. Ford is not responsible for the cost of repairing any emission failures caused by non-Ford parts that have not been 'certified' by the EPA."

In a nutshell, the EPA mandates that Ford cannot "ding" us for warranty work on the emissions system, whether Ford or aftermarket parts are used, as long as the system/parts are "certified" by the EPA and properly installed. This is a Federal Warranty that overrides Ford's warranty, and applies only to the emissions system.

As for the rest of the car (non-emissions stuff), we have many laws on our side. However, that does not mean we are "out of the woods" because, just as in any other legal battle, we may have to go through h3ll even though we are right. If the car is laid up needing warranty work, we may spend ungodly amounts of time/money/aggravation getting Ford to comply. Meanwhile, the car either goes unrepaired, or we spend unnecessary money (which we recoup later).

So, just know in your own mind that you can mod the car, but be prepared to possibly do battle at some point in the future. Just because we're "right" doesn't mean it'll be easy. Make your decisions based on that knowledge.

------------------
"Back in the day"-Red '66 289 "Later"- Black '68 289
"Today"- White 2000 GT
Stock except K&N & Flowmasters
ET-13.952@98.87 RT-.507 60'-2.09

Son #1 - '87 GT stock
Son #2 - '89 LX 5.0 stock

Mustangmom2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 05:16 PM   #6
Silver Stallion 2k
Registered Member

Cool

I have BBK X-Pipes and FlowMasters. I just went to the Dealer yesterday, to get my Throw-out Bearing replaced, which they did free, and they didn't say anything. They instead asked me about how good they are and sound. I got a good dealer here in Charleston, S.C.. Like the others said some are real a$@ holes and some are really cool. Just check around at your local Ford dealers. Also you can learn alot here on the board because thats how I found out about my the bad throw-out Bearing. Good luck and have fun Modding.

------------------
2000 Gt Mustang(S.S.)

-BBK X-Pipe
-Delta Flow Flowmasters
-Home made C.A.I.
-JET Power Module

Loves to Beat Z's & T/A's
Silver Stallion 2k is offline   Reply With Quote