MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Cptmourgan
Registered Member

Default Finally got a pony

Here's the deal. I finally got to a point in my life that i could comfortably afford to buy a mustang gt. I had the choice of putting a substancial down payment on a new gt or finding one I could pay cash for. I found a 2003 Gt, black on charcoal grey leather, 5 speed, BBK headers, off road H-pipe, flowmaster, 99 polished alumnium cobra rims, cold air induction, 51k miles. I test drove many new Gt's, but I found this one as a repo at a bank in the city I live in. The car Kelly blue booked at $15,600, I put in a bid of $12,500 and they accepted, how could I walk away from that!!! What really caught my eye about it was the fact that it seemed to have great deal more power than the 07's and it already had all the goodies i was wanting to add to a new one. I chose to pay cash for the 03 GT which means I have no car payment. I've had the car for about a month now. Call me crazy, but it just doesn't seem as fast as it was when I first bought it. Either I'm getting use to the power, or it's losing power. I use to do the cheap hot rod thing when I was younger, but I always envied the guy in the GT who always seemed to blow my doors off. The car runs, sounds, & drives great. Call me old school, or out of date, but when I got to poking around under the hood, it's a whole different world now, lol. I'm not interested in drag racing the car, but I do want to keep it powerful. I'm hoping it's just me & not an underlying problem that is only now presenting itself. Another question I have is the traction control device. Everything on the car works perfectly except for the traction control. I can't get it to come on, which is ok i guess, but I do wish it would work. The control button is below the stereo along with the rear window defroster and fog light buttons. These two buttons work fine, meaning the small lights above them come on & off as you push the buttons on and off, but the traction control light stays on showing the traction control is off. The first 2 weeks I had it, I could roll out at 25 mph in 2nd gear, step off in it & she would get all over the highway with you. Now she squats & takes off, but it just doesn't seem to pull like it did. I have to admit, I did play really hard with it the first week I had it and hope I didn't do any damage to it myself. I don't know if the person who had it before me done anything to the computer in the car. I found out the hard way that there is no rev limiter on the car. I accidently tached it up to 7 G's twice while playing a little too hard. Don't come down on me too hard for it, I'm sure some of you guys have done the same thing, lol. Also have to admit I had to check out the top end of the spectrum. I managed to hit 140 mph in a rather short time in 4th gear. Just had to see it once, don't plan on trying that one again. Yes, I checked to see that the tires were Z rated before I tried it. Anyway, if anyone has any tips, tricks, pointers, or good ole advice, I'm biting fingernails to see your response.
Cptmourgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: Finally got a pony

The car's got a tune on it where traction control has been disabled. If it didn't come with a flash device (SCT Xcal2 or Diablo tuner), check the ECM for a chip. This would explain why the rev limiter and speed limiter have been raised too.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: