MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Default 96-98 GT owners (Must Read)...25rwhp for $100

Stop wasting your money on thottle bodies and the like.
There have been a number of people experimenting with bolting on on PI intakes to NPI heads lately.

This is the one that started it all: Modified PI intake to stock PI heads: Must read for comparison pics on Page 2

Then this adapter set came out (very nice work I might add) :
Livernoise intake adapter kit

Well, some people got the talking and figured that nobody had bolted up a unmodified PIintake to a NPI motor and dyno tested it. There is a slight diffence in the shape of the ports so the intake and head ports don't exactly match up, but it seems for a N/A street motor, it didn't matter. The bigger runners of the PI intake still made a big improvement in power:
Direct bolt on, unmodified PI intake w/ dyno results, not tuned
This goes further to show that very little extra power comes from the stock PI heads, good flow numbers or not. Most of of the gains in the 99+ motors come from the cams and intake.
So what are you waiting for, find a used PI intake and get yourself some seat of the pants power.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
surfbeast
Registered Member

This is cool news. When are the specifics of the install going to be posted? I wonder wich gasket he used and hom much gasket maker was used?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #3
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Ask and you shall receive: Write up

"Well what about the port shapes being different? Didn't that affect it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It isn't optimal,and I'm sure that he's losing a slight it of power from the turbulence immediately before the entry to the intake port of the cylinder head,but considering the results-it's still good.
I'm more concerned with the sealing of the intake using the non-PI intake gaskets-it's close on a few edges...but that's nothing a bit of good RTV can't fix"

You can do a search on that site for details on the install.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #4
96_4.6
Registered Member

Heck yea the second I read it I picked up a 2002 PI intake for 187 shipped, now I am a little scared to do this myself, I think I can get it off but a I'm worried about putting everything back on and drilling and fitting that one sensor

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:39 PM   #5
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Good pickup. I'm assuming thats a brand new intake? And since it's a 2002, it has the aluminum crossover too.
Heck, if you throw in a set of PI cams into the parts you have sitting in your room, your car will feel like a whole new beast. I've seen slightly used PI cams going for $125 range for the set. Since everything would be off, it wouldn't cost anything extra to have the PI intake or pulleys installed, and there would be a lot more room to install the headers. You would save a TON of money on labor by getting it all done at once.
Top it off with a tune and you will have one quick car.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:36 PM   #6
surfbeast
Registered Member

Hwre did you find a PI intake for 187 plus shipping? Cheapest I found one was for 253 for the whole intake kit ( intake,gaskets,bolts ).
Old 01-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #7
surfbeast
Registered Member

WAs looking at the Kit that Livernois Mustang is selling for 650 bucks. It looks like they have drilled and tapped the PI intake for the # 2 sensor in the same place as the non PI aluminum crossover has one and added an aluminum spacer to accept both the PI and non PI gaskets. Man I bet they are pissed that someone figured a way to do this expensive upgrade for 1/3 the cost. I wonder if the aluminum crossover from the upgraded Non PI intakes will fit onto the new PI intake? The crossover comes off of the intake with a few bolts, wonder if you can purchase the crossover from ford and avoid drilling and tapping the new PI crossover?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
surfbeast
Registered Member

Hey I've got a question. If the PI intake fits the NPI heads ( almost ) and works, does that mean we could put on a bullit intake just as easily? Something to think about....
Old 01-30-2004, 01:24 PM   #9
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

While the PI intake bolts on, it isn't "optimal." What I mean by that is there is "some" power left on the table, but for the money spent/power increase ratio, its acceptable to most people with street cars.
Would I put an on a track car..no. A bolt on street car...absolutly.
The kit by Livernois would be a much better option for forced induction or wet nitrous kit cars, or just someone who wants a complete, no hassle bolt on kit leaving nothing on the table. It saves you from having to pull and port match your heads, or modifing the intake. Also, they milled the intake to fit with the adapters under the stock hood. Designing those adapters and getting it all to fit under the stock hood was no small task. And remember, the ports actually line up. I personally think its a great option as compared to an SVO intake.
As for the PI intake prices: I've seen them picked up for as low as $50. I personally bought a complete (upper and lower) PI intake for $90 when I had my old '97 T-bird and was gonna do the PI swap. Check the classifieds on the net, Ebay, or check local junkyards. It's not a part that will wear out from use, so a used piece is as good as a new one.
As far as the bullitt intake: I think the whole appeal to bolting on the unmodified PI intake is the power gained vs. money spent ratio. If you spend $1200 for all the Bullitt hardware, then it kind of defeats the purpose. At that point, you'd want it to match the ports on the heads because you have quite a bit of $ invested in the setup.
The whole idea is that using factory parts, 96-98 guys can bolt on GOOD power for little cash outlay: Take these used parts for example: PI cams $100-175, PI intake under $100, '02 GT 80mm MAF under $100, Misc costs for gaskets, new heater line(under intake) and the such, and dyno tune to up get everything sorted out and up the timing. You can see 30+ peak rwhp and much more then that over 5000 rpm, ot to mention and nice increase in torque through the whole powerband. All for what, $800+ bucks.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:44 PM   #10
96_4.6
Registered Member

It was 187 with shipping already, on ebay with new PI gaskets which suck cause I'll need NPI gaskets and man your ideas are awesome but I am not good enough to do all this by myself, the pulleys are cake but the headers and cams I do not want to perform by myself and where are used PI cams for 125?

-Trickflow Upper Plenum
-BBK 70mm Throttlebody
-02 PI Lower Intake
-March Pulleys
-BBK H-Pipe
-2 Chamber Flowmaster mufflers
-3000 RPM Stall
-JLT CAI with special K&N
-MSD Supercondutor wires
-180 stat
-FRPP 4:10's
*FOR SALE C&L TRUE FLOW INLET PIPE WITH K&N*
My Stang
96_4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 01:58 PM   #11
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 96_4.6
......where are used PI cams for 125?
All over the Net. There are MANY Mustang and Ford sites which have classifieds and have people selling PI cams. I won't post the names of the sites on here (don't want to step on any toes,) but I'll be glad to give you some names of sites if you PM me.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:09 PM   #12
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Some more convo. about the gaskets: PI intake - take 2
Old 02-05-2004, 09:34 AM   #13
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Well, I'm going to keep the info coming as I can find it. Hopefuuly this will help a few of you:

Pictures of NPI vs PI gaskets.... good info here

BTW - I have been surfing the mustang and modular boards and have found MANY intakes for $100 or less. New one's can be had for as little as $170.