MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-12-2000, 07:30 PM   #1
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Post Finally time to make some power

Well, well, well. So far with my car I've consentrated mostly on chasis, suspension, and stuff like that. Finally got all that taken care of, so now its time to make some power.

Within the next two weeks I'm adding FRPP headers, X-pipe, DynoMax cat-back, pro-m, and a chip to go along with the 4.10s, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Cobra Rs, and Steeda G-Trac. I can't wait. The car already has run 5.0 0-60, so I can't wait to see what I can get out of it in a couple of weeks!
97snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 07:32 PM   #2
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Oh yeah, I forgot the underdrive pulleys! And the K&N.

[This message has been edited by 97snakedriver (edited 06-12-2000).]
Old 06-13-2000, 11:19 AM   #3
King Snake
Registered Member

Are you getting the Super Turbo or the Ultra Flow? What made you decide to get DynoMax instead of Flowmaster? I am still trying to decide. Also, I heard the Steeda pulleys are really good.

------------------
'97 Cobra, K&N, Rio Red
King Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2000, 12:18 PM   #4
97snakedriver
Registered Member

I have flowmasters now, just the mufflers. They sound good, but I've been told with a X-pipe a straight though design like the Ultra-Flow works better then a baffled design like the flowmasters or the super-turbos. That and my flowmasters were not installed very well. The welding was done pretty badly.

As far as Steeda quality, everything I've got from them has been extremely high quality and they're suport is great. Its a good company.
Old 06-14-2000, 10:40 AM   #5
96cobra89Lx306

I've heard the chips are pretty much a waste of money bro. I thought about it only to raise the rev-limiter that's all. I'm pretty happy w/ my fuel and timing curves. I have a buddy of mine w/ a modded Cobra who didn't get any extra power from a Chris Johnson chip. I would wait until you get a supercharger for that.

------------------
(96Cobra/softtop-3.73,almdrvsht,fancontrl,steeda sbfrmes+shifter,eibachspgs,pulleys,Bassani X pipe,C&L 80mm
Cobra DYNO 301rwhp horsepower w/out steeda timing adjuster
93 Ford Probe Gt(slower but turns)
Old 06-14-2000, 11:35 AM   #6
King Snake
Registered Member

Is it true that H-pipes tend to give you a little more low-end torque and X-pipes more power on the top end? I have also heard that X-pipes give your exhaust a higher note.
Old 06-14-2000, 12:31 PM   #7
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Mail order chips for non-blown engines are pretty much a waste of time. With a dyno tuned custom chip you can pick up a pretty good amount of power even on a lightly modified car.

For the X vs H thing. That's generally true. A good H-pipe will give a few more ft/lbs of torque, but lose some on the top end. A good X-pipe will give good high end hp, and not quite as good low end torque, but not so much that it seriously effects things.

The X-pipes I've heard on Cobras tend to not burble as much at or near idle, and sound more Porche-like at the top end. I don't know if I would say its "higher". Its different, but it still sounds mean.

Old 06-14-2000, 12:54 PM   #8
96cobra89Lx306

I have tried an off-road H pipe before and felt it didn't offer the top end power or the torque of the X pipe with cats. i have never tried an off-road X pipe but I can say the difference was very noticeable between the X and H in the favor of the X pipe. It sounded quieter but gave more power. I remember thinking, man the exhaust sounds awesome with the offroad H pipe but the power wasn't there like it was with the X. I feel like the X gives power gains everywhere but that was in my car. others may be different.
Old 06-14-2000, 03:27 PM   #9
97snakedriver
Registered Member

Hi-flow cats will give more back presure, so they probably do make more low end torque then an off road H.
Old 06-15-2000, 12:00 PM   #10
King Snake
Registered Member

When I bought my Cobra it had a BBK off-road H-pipe. I had the dealer agree to replace the off-road with a factory H-pipe to keep the car legal. I drove the car for a couple of weeks with the off-road before the factory pipe was installed, so it was good grounds for comparison. After the factory pipes were installed, I must admit I noticed a big difference in throttle response and a small difference in power. Not to mention it was much quieter and the stink was gone. I miss the quicker throttle response and sound it once had and hope to regain most of it back when I install by catback system. I still have the H-pipe, so I may decide to bolt it back on one day.....

------------------
'97 Cobra, K&N, Rio Red

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: