MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-11-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
T_BIRDLX
Registered Member

Default Ford Bearings

I own a 99 Ford mustang GT and have a problem wirh my engine.I was wondering if somebody on this forum would happen to know which rod bearing in the 4.6 would get oil first. If anyone has any information ples tell me. I am trying to prove that it was not my fault for the bearings failing.All of the bearings are scorched.
T_BIRDLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:15 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

Default Re: Ford Bearings

The modular using a force main primary oiling. The mains get the oil first.

If all of your bearings are scorched, there's more going on than a problem with the primary oiling circuit. Is your oil pump is functioning properly? Does the engine have good oil pressure? By any chance, somewhere along the line did you (1) run a heavier weight oil than is recommended (2) mistakenly let the oil level fall dangerously low, below the add 1 qt mark (3) overheat the car significantly (4) run the car for an extended period with heavy detonation/pinging? If any of these happend (and there's probably a few more that could be thought of), then the dealership may be able to point to you as the culprit. It would be tough to prove that the engine's design is at fault for the problem. You're only real hope to put it in Ford's court is if when the engine is torn down you can find some problem internally that was the result of the manufacturing and assembly process.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
T_BIRDLX
Registered Member

Angry Re: Ford Bearings

It was detonating/pinging and I took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong.It had this problem since June off and on. I asked them about when they said the bearings were spun and they said it would not effect the bearings and was probably due to the spun bearing. He also said he did not see any reason to check into it. I always put Havoline Synthetic 5w30 in it. Changed the oil every 4,000 miles.(should be able to 6,000 with no problem.) I always checked the oil every week and it was never low at any point.It had 66,000 miles on it when I got it so I dont know what the original owner did. It now has 81,000 on it and should have no reason for failing. Do you know of a way I can test the oil pump. The Ford dealership still has the car and says they will do nothing more. Not even pull the main bearings and look at them.They are willing to give me the pump and already given me the rod bearings. Easycare is stating improper oil usage but that can mean so many different things. My dad is a mechanic so I know how to take care of my car,but he has never dealt with a 4.6. The service manager at Sheehy said that they would have to remove the opil pump for me but it is my understanding in order for them to pull the engine out of the car they must pull the oil pump first is that not true.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Jeff Chambers

Nope, oil pump is under the front cover. Pulling the engine is the best way to get to it, but it can be removed/replaced with the engine in the car.

Detonation affects bearing loading alot. Is it the cause here? Maybe not, but it could be a contributing factor. You can check the oil pump output pressure by putting a mechanical gauge on it and looking at the oil pressure through all rpm bands, both loaded and unloaded. My 2001GT recommends 5W20. Basically at 81,000 miles I think you're on your own. Take the engine to a reputable shop and let them rebuild it. Take the opportunity to drop some hot cams in it, bump up the compression a little, etc.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
T_BIRDLX
Registered Member

Angry Re: Ford Bearings

The engine is apart so I cant start it up.The reason I got this warranty in the first place is because I did not have the money to replace the engine if it did mess up. Rebuild is out of the question because of metal shavings.The engine is shot I am trying to find a way to prove that it was not my fault. I do not drive it hard. There is sometimes that I might mess around with it but it is made to take alittle abuse.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:02 PM   #6
T_BIRDLX
Registered Member

I have a few more questions.

1. If a engine was experiencing detonation that was EGR related, would it affect certain cylinders more than others?

2. Would a bad rod bearing cause a decrease in oil pressure?

3. Does anyone know what the thickness of a standard rod bearing is for this engine?

We did get back the results of the oil analysis and it shows a trace of Glycol and also said that piston wear was detected. We are still waiting for the analysis of the filter itself.
I measured the rod bearings and the #7 rod bearing is clearly shot. The upper half shows the greatest wear, it is .013 thinner than the upper halves of the remaining bearings. The lower half is .004 thinner than the other lower halves. The remaining seven bearings are within .002 of each other in thickness.
I would appreciate it you can answer my questions and/or possibly offer an explanation of what may have happened to this engine. Thanks for your

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: