MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-27-2002, 11:43 PM   #1
StangGT02
Registered Member

Default Ford Dealership Work

anyone know if ford dealerships are able to do performance installations? i have some underdrive pulleys i need put on and my cars an auto so im lost
StangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 07:01 AM   #2
coolie1
Registered Member

my dealer did my chip k&n cold air flow master cat backand pullies the only they did not do is my gears
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 075.jpg (325.3 KB, 34 views)
coolie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:42 PM   #3
GaryDawg
Registered Member

My ford dealership's body department would not do my subframes for me...

But, I guess this is not the same thing...
GaryDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 02:59 PM   #4
StangGT02
Registered Member

man our ford dealerships suck around here every one of em said they dont do any custom work at all just repair
Old 07-29-2002, 05:39 PM   #5
The Deuce
Registered Member

Where are you located? There are reputable speed shops all around, and you may have better luck if the dealer is SVT certified. Just a thought.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 10:40 PM   #6
StangGT02
Registered Member

im in cincinnati ohio i called around and none of the speed shops say they will do the installations either everyones out to be jerks around here you shoulda heard the attitude i got from 1 ford dealership and 1 of the speed places
Old 07-30-2002, 06:28 AM   #7
coolie1
Registered Member

my dealer has a a place called the toy store they do everything next week they r going 2 lower my stang they use steeda parts they r alittle more but if they do it does not effect warrenty. plus there is a place call mustang motersports 3 miles from my house that really knows what they r doing they did my gears x pipe i guess am lucky. meybe u should move 2 fla??
coolie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:21 AM   #8
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

I don't know what all you guys have up there.. but the only place I bring my stang for suspension/chassis brace type work is called "Texas Off-Road". I know it doesn't seem like they would do that kind of work, but they are very high quality installers. They mostly lift trucks, but they also lower and install certain frame braces.... The guy that works on my car when it's there is a drag racer, so he knows his stuff. He even offered to allign my C/C plates when I put them in. He's the one that lowered my car, put all the Steeda Suspension on , and welded in my sub-frames... he even went back over all the grind/weld points with several layers of sealent and then black body paint. Try calling around to a store like that in your area, someone that does a lot of suspension work should be able to lower a car just as easy as raising one. They may even put in your sub-frames...

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:24 AM   #9
surfbeast
Registered Member

You should be able to find a repair shop near where you live to put the parts on. You don't need a dealers high cost or a speed shop to put on underdrives! Any local mech can do it. You can go to an Advance auto ( if they have them in your area ) and they will loan you the tools to do the work. I borrowed a impact wrench and a harmonic balancer puller and used a strap wrench and a breaker bar to remove the balancer. I had to use the strap wrench and breaker bar due to having an auto. It took longer to boil the new pulley than it did to do the rest of the installation. My advise is to find a local mech or get some help and do it yourself.

Good luck!!
Old 07-30-2002, 10:49 AM   #10
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

I brought mine in to a local mech to have the TA/Underdrives put on. They did a good job putting it on.. The only complaint I had was, since the pickup for the timing now sits outside the block, they had to un-clip the wire harness a little to let the last plug reach to the TA.

Well, when they did this, they zip-striped the rest of the harness down to the front sway-bar...(OMG!!! WHY???) I didn't realize it until it was too late, I fought my car for 3 days trying to figure out why everytime I hit a bump the engine would surge and try to shut off.....

Well, it finally stranded me on a back road in the area...(Talk about pissed, man was I saying some words!!) What had happened, since the harness was tied to the sway bar, the movement of the car finally tore the wire inside the casing, but it didn't tear the casing.. (thus causing the short on bumps)... well, now the wire isn't even touching the other side... I have a nice wire-lead severed inside the casing.... Needless to say, after a half-mile of walking and finding the shop that did my rear-end work, I called in to the local dealer to see if I could just by the plug on the end.. (What was I thinking?) They don't sell it alone (Not buying the whole harness)...

So, I pulled a MacGuyver and asked for two paper-clips, I proceeded to walk back to my car following some train tracks.. I found a local SWBell phone box on the side of the road that was open (Looked old, the casing and wires are all exposed, no way it's still being used). I would have grabed some of the 26AWG phone wire in there (being a network admin, I know how well this stuff works for various things), but no... Tx Fire Ants have taken up residence in there, and anyone here from Tx knows you don't screw with our fireants.. Right before I got back to the car I found some old nylon string on the ground (Light Flickers!!!!)...

So, I break out my car keys and strip the casing of the wiring harness so I can see the empty space where copper wire is supposed to be. I unfold one of the paper clips and sharpen it on the concrete to a fine point on both ends. I inserted it into the remaining wire lead on the plug, and the same into the trailing lead to the harness.. Slipped the wire casing back over it, and then used my knot tieing skills (glad I paid attention at the Scout Meeting that night) to form a cheap splint, I then used a small twig and lashed it to the wound and plugged it all back up... I sit down inside the car, said a few prayers, through some holy water over the mustang on the air bag. Proceeded to crank the car... THANK YOU GOD!!!! it starts and I limped back home......

I found a junk yard with a 6Cyl Stang and got the plug of it and made a proper connection and sealed it back right, and it's been running fine ever since.....

---I didn't know you could fix a mustang with just a paper clip, and nylon string..... Maybe that should be added to the Ford Owners Manual

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:54 PM   #11
StangGT02
Registered Member

lol nice story but anyways ohio sucks for getting work done no one wants to do it ive called around everywhere.....i used someones suggestion before about some place called gould and son but well they messed up scheduling me to come in and have the work done so well they yelled at me cause they told me to come in during the afternoon and then they said they told me practically at daybreak or somethin anyways im almost to the point of just leavin my car STOCK and wasting a mustang just cause of all this..pff ive had these pulleys sitting on my desk for 2 weeks now...and renting the stuff to do it myself wouldnt work but thx for the idea....im new to engines and dont wanna mess up my baby whats a stang owner to do....*sigh*