MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-22-2002, 09:13 AM   #1
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Default Free Et!!!

Believe it or not, the rear spoiler on your Mustang does more than look good. It creates quite a large ammount of drag. You can remove your spoiler at the track and gain a solid 4 tenths and 3-5 mph. Sounds bogus right? It works!
Ripped off a BLISTERING 15.37@90MPH
With a 2.21 60ft
Just Installed- K&N Air Filter
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
-Flowmaster A/T or Magnapack Cat-Back
SLOW 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 09:45 AM   #2
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

Did you actually do this? Did you make a run with it on and a run with it off? I don't believe it at all.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:52 AM   #3
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

You Lie!!! Well maybe ... I have serious issues with what you are saying because the wing wind drag only becomes an issue at about half the track. Gaining .4 would make it insane! Infact, the wingless Bullits would run much faster ....

I call bull ****.

NEW CAR! - 2002 GT TrueBlue - Best Stock ET - 13.77

Old Lizard - 2000GT Electric Green - Best ET STOCK: 13.662 @ 100.2MPH
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 10:58 AM   #4
wally6761
Registered Member

i hope you don't believe that. It's a small spoiler on a slower car, not a sail. It doesn't even work most of the time.
wally6761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 02:13 PM   #5
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

I like my spolier. It allows my car to be much more stable at top end speeds. I haven't noticed any acceleration differences with or with out it. I do notice that the car handles like crap at 75+ w/o it, but I am running the Steeda Drag wing and not the factory junk.

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
98SteedaGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 02:38 PM   #6
SLOW 97
Registered Member

I haven't done it myself but I read it in the newest 5.0 Mustang. I think you may gain maybe a tenth but 4 tenths is pretty optimistic.
With a 2.21 60ft
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
Old 04-22-2002, 11:37 PM   #7
CactusHugger11
Registered Member

hey that sounds so cool!!!! do you think someone could take of another .4 if they took off their sideview mirrors too?? and maybe .1 if they took off their antena. has anyone tried that????
CactusHugger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:28 AM   #8
SLOW 97
Registered Member

Oh definitely!!! The weight savings alone will help. Those sideview mirror are quite heavy.
With a 2.21 60ft
Coming Soon......
-4.10's
Old 04-23-2002, 09:43 PM   #9
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

If you wanted a stripper you could have a GTS instead.

But I guess every little thing helps lower the ETs.

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 10:24 PM   #10
slow98
Registered Member

Default haha

i think 5.0 magazine probably either has bad drivers or writers on lsd if they think that is gonna cut 4 10ths lol, put down the crack pipe!! what year model car did the do test on? mustangs have stock spoilers of all shapes and sizes depending on the year... peace
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
slow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 03:36 PM   #11
gtsr515
Registered Member

I've even heard of duct taping the windshield seams for speed, any loss of grag will help.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:03 PM   #12
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Okay just to clarify things here removing the wing does not reduce ET's by .4 but most of you already knew that. What it does do is increase your MPH by about 1. ET's will remain unchanged or decrease by a very small amount. The wing is there for looks nothing more, same as the Steeda wing. I've had my wing off of my car for a year and it handles the same as it did with the wing, saying the car handles like crap without the wing is as ridiculous as saying you'll pick up 4 tenths by removing it. It's a known fact that downforce on wings, spoilers doesn't really come into play till your over 90-100 MPH.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.ponyexpressperformance.com
www.modulardepot.com
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 11:15 PM   #13
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

I totally disagree with the last part of that. I have proven on my car that the wing I have does infact make a difference on it.. I have driven down the highway, jumped lanes, taken curves and come home and put the Steeda wing back on, performed the exact same tests at the exact same speed, on the exact same highway..and I can tell you, there is a difference on the car....... I do analysis and testing all day long everyday as my job... It may not be on automotive components, but the same basic testing methods apply across the board, just to different materials.

Old 04-25-2002, 10:27 AM   #14
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
Originally posted by 98SteedaGT
I totally disagree with the last part of that. I have proven on my car that the wing I have does infact make a difference on it.. I have driven down the highway, jumped lanes, taken curves and come home and put the Steeda wing back on, performed the exact same tests at the exact same speed, on the exact same highway..and I can tell you, there is a difference on the car....... I do analysis and testing all day long everyday as my job... It may not be on automotive components, but the same basic testing methods apply across the board, just to different materials.
Okay if you say so. If you were doing 100 MPH on the freeway cutting in and out of traffic your an idoit but that's just my opinion. The wing is for looks nothing more.

PS I'm also an analyst and knows what goes into as well.

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.modulardepot.com
Old 04-25-2002, 11:20 AM   #15
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Well Since the analysists and testers are coming out, why not add an engineer?

There would be an effect caused by the spoiler. To say there is no effect, is well, a lack of understanding of fluid and aerodynamics.

Having said that, the effect is also not drastic either. My experiences in wind tunnel tests have showed that the actuall "inverted wing design" element is quite minimal. The position of the spoiler on the car is too low to see enough wind velocity to create large down forces. (Yes that's right, ricers do have the right idea by putting wings 6 feet in the air). Only at high speeds would you notice any significatnt down force from the inverted wing.

What people don't realize is that a spoiler that is close to the rear of the car actually changes the pressure field behind the car. This change in pressure, will help stabilize the car more than a wing at normal driving speeds (believe it or not). This is much more realivant to the driving speeds that most people see in day to day driving in a mustang (highway included).

Of course, the overall design of the car has alot to do with the design of a spoiler. The pressure field around a car is created by the body of the car, a fact that 99.9999999% of ricers don't even consider.

Having gone through all the dynamics of spoilers, for the most part a spoiler is a cosmetic enhancement, as most cars don't see the high speeds required and car bodies today can be designed to minimize pressure fields.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 12:02 PM   #16
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Ok, first of all... I do not appreciate being called an idiot. I didn't insult you, I just said I disagreed with your statement. I never said I was weaving in and out of traffic at 100MPH, infact I don't recall mentioning a velocity except for in my first post. As far as the analysis thing, I am an Engineer, not anaylist, sorry if I cause confusion. I hold dual Engineering degrees, three Engineering Certifications in my field at 21 yrs old. Just because I drive with more confidence and control in my own vehicle than other motorists doesn't make me an idiot, I see that as everyone else not knowing how to drive their car to the limit safely! Never had a ticket, never been in a wreck, never caused a wreck. I have avoided more wrecks than I can count because of the way I drive. This is the last I will comment on the subject, you have your opinion and I have mine. I don't hold anything against you for yours, I would hope you don't hold it against me for mine. We are two different people in two diff parts of the country. I get tired of arguing points with people that don't really matter (the points, not the people.. The people do matter to me). Besides, flaming messages get really old after dealing with them all day long.

Old 04-25-2002, 01:29 PM   #17
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, first of all... I do not appreciate being called an idiot. I didn't insult you, I just said I disagreed with your statement. I never said I was weaving in and out of traffic at 100MPH, infact I don't recall mentioning a velocity except for in my first post. As far as the analysis thing, I am an Engineer, not anaylist, sorry if I cause confusion. I hold dual Engineering degrees, three Engineering Certifications in my field at 21 yrs old. Just because I drive with more confidence and control in my own vehicle than other motorists doesn't make me an idiot, I see that as everyone else not knowing how to drive their car to the limit safely! Never had a ticket, never been in a wreck, never caused a wreck. I have avoided more wrecks than I can count because of the way I drive. This is the last I will comment on the subject, you have your opinion and I have mine. I don't hold anything against you for yours, I would hope you don't hold it against me for mine. We are two different people in two diff parts of the country. I get tired of arguing points with people that don't really matter (the points, not the people.. The people do matter to me). Besides, flaming messages get really old after dealing with them all day long.
I hope I didn't offend you. I only try to present an element of engineering and physics. Which in many cases is not present when some people discuss topics like these (not flaming anyone).

As an aside....3 engineering certifications are impressive, especially by 21. Youmust have worked hard. I didn't mean to discredit or belittle your training. I assue though, that you aren't talking 3 full Degrees (as you'd have to be much older or related to Doogie H. ).

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 02:57 PM   #18
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Oh, I wasn't talking to you..... There was a post that directly said I was an "idiot". Yes, they were full degree plans. I took two engineering degrees at the same time, and used classes from both as well as others I took later and before and completed the Certs. I have been taking 16-18 hrs per semester and 6-8 hrs in each summer semester. I just didn't like being told that I was wrong about it, even though I physically took off the wing, test drove it, and then put it right back on my car. I don't really care that some readings in a test chamber said certain things or that the people who made the wing said it won't do that. I am saying, I have tried and can see a difference.

You didn't offend me 95mustanggt.

Old 04-25-2002, 04:05 PM   #19
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

Quote:
I have driven down the highway, jumped lanes, taken curves
True you didn't say you were going 100 MPH but by the statement above you obviously were in deed driving like an idoit. Does that make you an idoit? No but you were driving like one based on your statement. I don't care if you have the skill of Mario Andretti it doesn't give you, me or anyone the right to jump lanes or drive so fast that you would notice a difference with the wing.

I take offense to statements like this because I can't begin to tell you how many times I see 16-22 year olds cutting in and out of traffic an generally acting stupid so it hit a soft spot so for that I apologize. By the way I'm 28 not some old man...

Bill
11.97 @ 113.20
M/M 100, 7085

www.uprproducts.com
www.modulardepot.com
Old 04-25-2002, 04:39 PM   #20
slow98
Registered Member

Talking dramma

dont you just love all the drama that can come about when two people dissagree about somthing..haha.. this is a car forum guys, we all meet here because we like to talk to each other about our cars, make suggestions and ask questions to others that have done things to make there cars have better performance. if the man feels that his wing helped his car perform better let him feel that way, maybe give him some suggestions that will help it even more rather than cut him down and argue who is smarter or has more knowlege about a certain subject. "CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG".a peice of mind is good every once in a while but why let it get out of hand...while on the subject i would just like to think everyone that has answered my questions and added good information to the forum! peace
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
slow98 is offline   Reply With Quote