View Single Post
Old 02-08-2002, 06:18 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs down The threat is real

89FHPLX:

I checked this out too and it's very real. SEMA is mounting a letter-writing drive against it, as they should.

Scary, as it's not simply a 'tax-credit' plan but it would give grants (money) to states that require vehicles over 15 years old be turned in to be scrapped. This isn't voluntary, folks.

Now, states can pass up the grants and not enact such scrapping regulations but you know some will go ahead in order to get the government loot (paid for with our tax money, by the way).

I have strong doubts this Democrat-sponsored bill will get far but it's dangerous to those who own older cars of any type. This provision of the bill is attempting to treat old cars like soda cans and pay a redemption fee for them if turned in for scrap, like it or not. It wouldn't be so bad if you could choose to do this, but the bill states that 'States will require all passenger automobiles and light-duty trucks to be scrapped. No options there.

This is the kind of crap politicians pull when they can hide it in a bill about 'saving energy' as a response to terrorism. Bull.
It's yet another in an unending list of power-grabs and usurpation of personal freedom to live as we wish without government intrusion.

Now - under the guise of 'saving energy' - the feds want to force us to scrap our cars if they get too old! Fat chance.

I have a feeling that if this section of this Democrat bill ever did get passed, exemptions would be made for poor people, hobbyists (us) and restored vehicles. Still, you never know and we would be fools to simply trust the government on this one.

I suggest we write or at least e-mail our respective congress-critters and especially our Senators to protest this section of the bill. Claim poverty or just love of your well-running 'Stang but complain. No complaints and the congress-critters think everyone loves the idea or more likely, no one really cares. Not true for us, so let 'em know! The squeaky wheel gets the grease, especially in Washington, D.C. I know, I've done it.

To paraphrase a great American, Charlton Heston;

They'll have to pry my cold, dead fingers off the steering wheel before they take my LX to the crusher!
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote