MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-24-2003, 04:07 PM   #1
03GT
Registered Member

Default supercharger kit for 03 gt

So tell me what you think about superchargers Eaton or Vortech which is better? The Eaton looks better also the kit is very impressive comes with injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, and lower intake. The ad boast 100hp gain from stock set up. The Vortech looks easier to install with a better price tag as well but it dosen't come with the injectors or new pump what do you think?
03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 05:13 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

The Eaton SC and the Vortech SC provide different types of power curves. The Eaton will provide boost sooner and replaces the plastic intake. That's the way I would probably go.

Vortech makes a lot of SC's and I've never heard of anyone with problems. It will build power in the upper RPMs, but I still think I'd take the Eaton over it.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:12 PM   #3
moosejaw
Registered Member

More importantly, which kit comes with the correct tuning package? I think neither one comes with correct reprogramming for 2002-up computers. As far as I can tell Steeda is the only place to get a 2002 computer to work correctly for more power.

Yes, the Eaton from Saleen works well to but the top version they sell only adds 60HP and is $$$$ . We have installed several of these for the local Saleen dealer. These are customer requests. If they don't have a blower car on the lot in the right color they buy the kit and have us install it. So we get to dyno a new car before and after the install and the dyno sheets go to the customer. They don't sell the top power adder to the public. Gotta buy the whole car.

With the Vortech package and a Steeda reflash (with injectors) and the double pump mod we have seen 360rwhp on a stock engine. Add the aftercooler and power jumps to 390'ish and you haven't even changed the exhaust yet. One of our customers has done exhaust work and his power is 420'ish.

There are no idling problems with either kit and drivability is excellent. The Steeda setup can be scanned at any dealership and is approved by Ford. So far none of the chip makers have been able to figure out how to decifer the code to add fuel to the 2002-up computers. We use autologic but have checked other flavors and no one can do it. It seems Ford has locked out this part of the eeprom. Steeda has bought into Ford for the equipment and certification to do reprogramming. It works.

All you have to decide is how much grunt do you want.

Mike

Mike
Old 05-25-2003, 07:18 PM   #4
micool
Registered Member

Don't forget the Procharger P-1SC, too. I installed one on my '03 and with Magnaflow exhaust being the only other modification at the time got almost 400 rwhp. Dyno tuning is very critical on these cars so I wouldn't rely soley on a "reflashed" computer for optimum results. Nothing against Steeda, though. I have a ton of their stuff on my car. It's just that every car reacts differently to modifications and there's no such thing as blanket coverage when tuning a car. Neither Eaton nor Vortech will get you those numbers although they are both simpler to install and are great choices.
micool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 10:27 PM   #5
moosejaw
Registered Member

I am getting tired of repeating myself. Did you read my post??? We have dynoed these cars and they are the real deal. You can buy the reflash straight from Steeda ( send in your computer while installing the blower).

Quote:
Neither Eaton nor Vortech will get you those numbers although they are both simpler to install and are great choices.
Micool once again you did not read my post. We have a Dyno and wide band A/F. I'm not bs-ing anyone. Go to Steeda website and type in "ecu program" then follow the link to the tech article -or- down load the catalog it is on page 33. Here is a copy and paste of some of it.

Quote from the website:
Over the past four years Ford's engine management systems have progressively become more efficient and complex. Previous tuning methods with computer chips fall short of the true potential of a supercharger system with Ford's new engine management systems. For over two years Steeda Autosports has worked with Ford Motor Company and Cosworth Technologies to develop the perfect Supercharger System for Ford Mustangs. Our system is designed to give the Mustang customer maximum horsepower, durability, with perfect drivability. We've put together some of the most commonly asked question about our Technology Transfer Program.

Q. How much Horsepower would I make with Steeda's System?
A. Our Technology transfer program has seen power numbers of 360rwhp to 420rwhp. Factory stock Mustang with no modification will make around 360rwhp. Mustangs with full exhaust and a Bullitt intake should make 420rwhp. Our Calibration averages 40-70hp more than a standard computer chip calibration.

Q. Can it be used with aftermarket exhaust and aftermarket gears?
A. Yes, you can use any cat-back kit on the market with our kit and any emissions legal X or H-pipe. Our calibration can be set for 3.27 3.55 or 3.73 rear gear ratios.

Q. Can I add performance parts after the computer flash?
A. Yes, our calibration can support up to 10psi of boost and can handle variances in airflow with such changes as a Ford Racing Bullitt intake or shorty headers. Our calibration can adapt to changes in the motor, unlike chips that must be re-flashed.

Q. Who can service my car if something isn't working right?
A. Any Ford Dealership can read all OBDII monitors and NGS codes from the computer. Any Ford Dealer can make small changes to the calibration, such as rear gear ratio, and minimal timing changes.

Q. Why should I use a Steeda's performance tuning instead of a performance chip?
A. Steeda's Calibration gives you 40-70hp more than performance chips. Performance chips are not C.A.R.B. certified and 50 state legal for supercharged calibrations. Most chips shut off all ODBII sensors and all emissions monitors. All computer chips inefficiently manage the changing conditions of a supercharged car and do not have the adaptive strategies of the stock computer. This is especially true for '99 and up computers.

Q. How are other companies tuning supercharged Mustangs? Why do they not have the ability to re-flash the computer?
A. Most are burning chips for oversized injectors and/or swapping computers that would have easier code to modify. Most of the companies do not have this technology because of Ford Motor Company's commitment to customer service, and their dedication to the integrity of the technology transfer program. Steeda's Computer Calibration is Copyright protected by Steeda Autosports and Ford Motor Company

Q. Are Steeda's dual fuel pumps only to be used with Steeda's Calibration?
A. No, the pumps can be used for many applications. But if used with a computer chip, it is highly likely the chip will need to be re-programmed.

Q. My Vortech Kit comes with 38lb injectors. Wouldn't 30lb injectors be too small for 400rwhp?
A. No, with larger injectors such as 38lb or 42lb injectors, it becomes nearly impossible to pass C.A.R.B. certification. These larger injectors also cause drivability issues when the vehicle is not at wide-open throttle. Many chip calibrations call for the larger injector sizes to maintain safe air/fuel ratios at wide-open throttle while sacrificing drivability. Ford Computer calibrations are so complex that computer chip calibrations never gain 100% control over the fuel system. Steeda's computer calibration has full control over the entire fuel system for higher fuel efficiency and better engine management.

Q. Why Should I use Steeda's Technology Transfer system?
A. Steeda's kit and computer calibration are the only computer calibration certified and released by Ford Motor Company. This means that the quality of our calibration passes all strict OEM Ford requirements for drivability and emissions. What this means is you get maximum power, durability with perfect drivability.
End of quote.

I know pro-m and procharger both have these whamadyne rigs to intercept the fuel pressure signal for the computer. These act as an artificial fmu and with do nothing to help your fuel pump survive 100,000 miles.

I also use a Procharger but not on a 02-up. It just ain't safe, Yet.

Mike
Old 05-26-2003, 10:47 PM   #6
03GT
Registered Member

So tell me Moose what type of HP gains will you get from the Steeda reprograming and the Saleen supercharger kit (Eaton IV Supercharger)?
Old 05-26-2003, 11:38 PM   #7
moosejaw
Registered Member

A stock 02-up GT: 360rwhp.
Add aftercooler: 390-395rwhp call it 390

After that it is gravy. In the other post I said we have a customer who has done exhaust work and is ~ 420rwhp. This all jives with Steeda's quoted power levels and I did the dyno's before reading their power quotes.

The 10 psi limit on the program is for real. One of our customers bought a used blower that was pulleyed for 14psi on a 2002 car. It was way lean (15:1) on a test run so we swapped the the pulleys to get 10 psi out of it. I don't remember what the power was because I was focused on the air/fuel ensuring it was safe.

These combo's are slick. They remind me of the smoothness of the 400-450 hp Saleens without the price tag.

If you buy a Vortech or Paxton they will send an ecu return box for reprogramming. Well, they don't have the programs yet. Not even for the '02. So you can throw that fed-ex box out.

Find the best price you can for the blower and have the installer order the reflash and double pump. There is a form to fill out for the reflash. Very simple form includes gear ratio option if you are changing gears. They turn the computer around quickly.

Mike
Old 05-27-2003, 06:20 PM   #8
micool
Registered Member

If you're getting tired of repeating yourself then stop. No one comes to this website and especially this forum to hear you advertise your business. I was simply letting the man know that there are other options. Like I said above, I have a Steeda suspension, aerodynamics. and many other parts from them on my car. I have nothing but good to say about them. Just because your'e a Vortech/Paxton dealer doesn't mean that you have to mislead everyone about other brands of superchargers. If youv'e ever read MMFF or 5.0 magazines you would see the obvious power difference between Vortech and Procharger on similar cars. If you want to advertise, pay for it.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:48 PM   #9
micool
Registered Member

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to tell you. My car was tuned by Chris Johnson (ever heard of him? Sure you have.) with the STOCK mass air meter. I don't have a whamadyne or whatever your technical word for it was from Pro-M or Procharger. My car idles like stock and drives like stock, no driveabilty issues whatsoever. It also pass one of the nations' stiffest smog tests-Florida. Open a magazine or go somewhere other than Gateway and you'll see more than half of the cars making good power have Autologic software by Chris. Maybe a class is in order.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:38 PM   #10
03GT
Registered Member

SO MOOSE LET ME ASK YOU ONE MORE QUESTION WILL THE STEEDA REPROGRAM DO ANYTHING FOR A STOCK 03 GT AS FAR AS RWHP GAINS? AND IS THAT THE DIABLO CHIP YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

Last edited by 03GT; 05-29-2003 at 06:47 PM..