MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-14-2001, 04:56 PM   #1
SANDSGT
Registered Member

Post Frustrating Engine Noise

Well, this is my 3rd trip back from the dealership and still no luck.

I've got this occasional noise in my engine. Kind of sounds like a belt spinning or something. Maybe even a bearing going bad. I notice it sometimes when I'm idling at a light in gear with clutch in. The spinning sound gets louder and louder but if I let the clutch out it stops.

I've taken it to the dealer 3 times now and of course it doesn't do it for them. They said they checked the entire engine/car over and found nothing wrong.

The other night I was out and while turning a tight corner I heard it. Then when I got home and backed in the driveway it was doing it the entire time I backed up. As soon as I took it out of gear and let the clutch out it stopped. I also notice it sometimes when I turn the engine off.

Any suggestions as to what it might be? My car is only a '99 with 23K on it.

------------------
35th Anniversary GT
Limited Edition
Black on Black
5-speed
40 Series FlowMasters

SANDSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 06:39 PM   #2
SocomCen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SANDSGT:
Well, this is my 3rd trip back from the dealership and still no luck.

I've got this occasional noise in my engine. Kind of sounds like a belt spinning or something. Maybe even a bearing going bad. I notice it sometimes when I'm idling at a light in gear with clutch in. The spinning sound gets louder and louder but if I let the clutch out it stops.

I've taken it to the dealer 3 times now and of course it doesn't do it for them. They said they checked the entire engine/car over and found nothing wrong.

The other night I was out and while turning a tight corner I heard it. Then when I got home and backed in the driveway it was doing it the entire time I backed up. As soon as I took it out of gear and let the clutch out it stopped. I also notice it sometimes when I turn the engine off.

Any suggestions as to what it might be? My car is only a '99 with 23K on it.

Sounds like a throw out or release bearing problem. If it is the belt try a Goodyear Gatorback belt, they are very quiet.
Robb
SocomCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 09:35 AM   #3
Red Mustang Gt 46
13.3 @ 103

Just a thought, but have you checked your trans fluid lately? T-45s get loud when they're low on Mercon V

------------------
1998 Mustang Gt
C&L 80mm
Steeda Underdrives
Steeda Tri-Ax
Magnaflows

Red Mustang Gt 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:39 AM   #4
01 BLACK GT
Registered Member

Cool

It defintely sounds like your throw out bearing.Also i think the 99-00 had a problem with them. when your foot is on the clutch pedal, there is pressure on the bearing and if the bearing is bad then it will squeal. when you release the clutch the bearing is no longer in contact with the pressure plate and there for is not spinning. Try this start her up and with the trans in neutral put just a little pressure on the clutch pedal. it should start to squeal. let it go and it should stop. that will tell you for sure
Hope this helps and works for you. If it is the bearing, you should still be covered under warrenty hopefully

Joe

------------------
01' Black GT
2 chamber Flows Mach 460, Leather 17"thrust wheels, bassanni x-pipe with cats, BBK Cold Air, Steeda pullies and timing adjuster @ 13*, Steeda Satin Shift Knob
Tri-ax shifter A pillar Double gauge pod, Auto meter White Phantom Gauges Fuel Pressure and Vac, Richmond 3:73's
Steeda Subframe Connectors.Strut Tower Brace
13.41 @ 102.1mph

01 BLACK GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 10:56 PM   #5
SANDSGT
Registered Member

Thanks everyone! Joe, I just got the car back from the dealership again. My 4th unsuccessful trip! I suggested the throw out bearing and still they say they find nothing wrong and they couldn't get the noise to occur. It's driving me insane!!! It was rainy here today. Don't know if that has something to do with the sound occurring or not but the entire 10 mile drive home, no noise. But of course as soon as I backed in the driveway there it was again!!!!

------------------
35th Anniversary GT
Limited Edition
Black on Black
5-speed
40 Series FlowMasters

Old 07-29-2001, 02:42 PM   #6
95GTS
Git jiggy

Cool

It's still under warranty right? Serious, take it back and tell them to replace the dang throw out bearing. Whether they hear the sound or not makes no difference. They probably have a selective hearing problem on all the warrantied cars. As well as selective eye sight. If they won't do it check out your Lemon law for your state. Usually if you have had it in the shop at least 3 times and it still isn't fixed it's considered a Lemon and you can take it back to them and get a new car. I know it looks like you have the Limited Edt. 99 35th but getting a new 01 is better than fighting with the current car and will be worse once it's out of warranty. A letter from your lawyer usually wakes them up a bit, too.

------------------
1994 Red SVT Lightning #2019
95GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 05:38 PM   #7
1astrsk
Registered Member

I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the idler pulley for the fan belt. Apparently this was a relatively common problem. It was 17.00 at pep boys and took all of 1/2 hour to change. My noise was more constant than yours seems to be. next time you hear the noise open your hood and drop a cup or so of water on the fan belt. This will act as a temporary lubricant and the noise should stop for a minute or so.

Mine would also sound different depending on the rpm of the engine and whether the clutch was engaged or not, and sometimes it would not make noise at all. It was very frustrating.

Hope this helps - good luck.

[This message has been edited by 1astrsk (edited 07-29-2001).]
1astrsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 04:15 PM   #8
SANDSGT
Registered Member

Time for my 5th trip to the dealership tonight!

I'm supposed to head down to North Carolina Outer Banks on Friday... not going to be a good trip if my baby's still acting up and I don't make it down to NC.

Wish me luck!

------------------
35th Anniversary GT
Limited Edition
Black on Black
5-speed
40 Series FlowMasters