MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-25-2002, 02:23 PM   #1
blue302
Registered Member

Unhappy Fuel Pump Problems

My stock fuel pump on my 1989 GT just stop working this weekend. I'm not sure if the fuel pump died on me or if I have some electrical problems. One thing that I do know is that my fuel pump does not turn on, because It does not make that humming sound that it always does when it was on. My question is, before I decide to bring down the fuel tank, does anyone know the color coding to the fuel pump wiring. I was able to find a 4pin connection, on the underside of my trunk. These wires goes towards my fuel tank and I'm assuming that it leads to the fuel pump. The wires have the following color code: Yellow,Red, and Two Black. I found voltage on my Red wire when I turn the ignition on, but found zero volts on the yellow wire. Should the yellow wire have any voltage present, assuming that the black wires are my grounds? Is there any fuses or fuse links that I should be looking for? Does the computer control the fuel pump? Any help would be greatly appreciated to get my Pony out of its coma.

Thanks
SVO Hoses, BBK H-Pipe w/conv.,Flowmasters 2Ch,
SVO 3.73 w/Auburn Diff.,95 Cobra Front brakes and Lincoln Cont. rear disc brakes and 98 cobra rims.
blue302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 02:31 PM   #2
WADS56
gear banger

Chances are that it is a bad relay. Check under the drivers seat for it.

Wade
Ricer hater's club member #49
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:26 AM   #3
89MustangGTFox
Registered Member

Lightbulb Re: Fuel Pump Problems

There is a fuse link to the fuel pump, im not sure exactly where it is but if your battery jumped it could have possibly blown which would incapacitate your fuel pump so it might be that simple. Also if the car was bumped or hit...or if you slammed the hatch/trunk too hard...the fuel pump disengage button may have popped..this is for safety reasons in an accident...you simply open the trunk/hatch and look for that white button and push it back down, however, your car probably wouldnt start if it was disengaged...not much else i could think of electrical although you never know with this car im in the middle of an electrical mess myself right now >)
89MustangGTFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
racerboy88
Registered Member

Default Re: Fuel Pump Problems

the holley fuel pump is good, that's what I went with and it came with everything. Job took about 21/2hrs without a hoist

racerboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote