MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-14-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
urstangsmoke
Addict

Default future plans

in the spring i will be adding 3.73's and probably getting the SCT flash programmer. now, in a few years i will be doing heads, cams and stroker. will the SCT flash programmer be enough to help keep my computer happy when i add the cams, heads and stroker down the road? i know i can get custom programs sent to me, but i dont want a program close to what i need, i want something that is exactly what i need, something i can completely control to what i need. is the SCT flash programmer capable of handling such mods as the stroker, heads and cams?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:27 PM   #2
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Default Re: future plans

You're probably going to be looking at a custom tuned chip for the heavy mods.

Save some of that future cash for a dyno-tune and keep an eye out for a reputable place to do it in your area...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:47 AM   #3
Randy@ART
Registered Member

Find any SCT dealer in your area....you can go here www.sctflash.com and us the dealer search.

I would try to save some money and see if they can just set you up with a single program chip for the 3.73 and they can reburn the same chip on the dyno when you get the final combo going....
Randy@ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
urstangsmoke
Addict

sounds like some good advice ... im a little confused on how these dyno operations work. every place i explore information about rents out the dyno. now, when you rent out the dyno, is there someone there from the facility with you? the main thing im concerned about, obviously is the a/f ratio. i have no idea what i would be looking at if noone was there! sorry if this is a dumb question, im still learning about everything. one last thing, if i did get a chip, i would bring it down to the dyno facility and they would tune it there, correct? how does this whole operation work? thanks for bearing with me..
Old 10-25-2004, 09:59 AM   #5
Randy@ART
Registered Member

Hi....there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. Its very good to be concerned were your money is going and if you getting the most for it, this is what I call a smart consumer! Alot of tuners prices are different...just check and see what the price includes. Some say we are higher than some, however our price includes removing and cleaning the ECM....just insurance for us and you!

I out source for dyno tuning also. There is nothing wrong in doing this as alot of tuners do. It is more cost effective for me to do so. Most tuners work close with the dyno shop they choose to use on a regular bases, I for one usually have the owner/operator of the shop drive while I tune, and we are communicating all the time with one another. Most dyno's have a wide band O2, but if not I always bring my own...I like to be prepared Most time's the tuner would set up an appointment and meet you at the dyno.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
urstangsmoke
Addict

i've been talking to a guy in connecticut at bristol dyno and eh does his own custom tuning with superchips and diablo. is it wise to trust a guy who does his own tuning? or should i bring in a guy like you who specializes in tuning?
Old 10-26-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
Randy@ART
Registered Member

I'm sure Jonathan will do a good job Nothing wrong with owning your own dyno...actually I'm working towards that point as we speak. I have been tuning EFI for 9 years now and I still learn something new every day. Using a laptop sure beats cranking on a mill reworking metering plates for carbs
Old 10-28-2004, 06:24 AM   #8
urstangsmoke
Addict

i bet .... where are you located?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
urstangsmoke
Addict

one more question .. i've been lookin at the 4-bank chips. one stock tune, and 3 custom tunes. would this be better than the single program chip getting reburned down the road? i realize it would probably be cheaper with the single program chip, but its also good to keep the factory program as insurance. pro's and cons?
Old 10-29-2004, 01:36 PM   #10
Randy@ART
Registered Member

I am here in central Ohio. I know the web page does not have the address, needs to be updated. With the 4 bank you would actually have 4 custom tunes, you are able to turn the chip off with the selector switch....this does not take up a program location. About the multi. program for your car.....since you are adding just gears to your combo now and prospects of a stroker later, I personally would only do the single on the road tune now and have the car dyno tuned when you add cams & such...IMHO