MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Default Gear heads inside..

Ok, I am building another car. I haven't purchased the actual car yet, but I have several cars to choose from. Anyway, I am building a mid 80's (84-86) notchback to be a street/strip car. Mainly strip, but will see duty as a daily driver. I have the Mod engine that I want to drop in it, I just have to asemble it. I do need a set of 4V heads, and if anyone has a line on a set...hit me up.

Now here's where it starts to get good.....

I am going with at least a single turbo, but want to go twins. Mainly for bragging rights, you know how us car guys are. I know that if I end up with a single unit, I want to go with either a 70mm or 76mm T-4 unit. I'm not exactly a stranger to the turbo world, but I don't really understand the compressor maps. If someone on here understands them, please school me on them.

I also need some advice on tranny. I know that I am going to go manual route, and TKO makes about the best unit on the market. The question is, will I be better off with 5 gears(track) or 6 gears(road)? I know that with some companies, like Jerico, you can custom order your gear ratios, but again, not that much of a gear head.

I am going to port the ever loving crap out of the heads, but for arguements sake, let's say I'm going with a stage 3 port job, with stage 3 cams. I will also be running a fully forged bottom end, main girdle, and so on. I fully expect to twist the rollers to the tune of about 650 or so.

All of this will be ran with a FAST setup. I will need some tuning work on this, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Well, I guess that pretty much covers the basics. Any thoughts? Concerns? Ideas? Please post them up. I am not too proud to ask for help, and I will post up pics as they are taken.

Later.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
1989GT
Registered Member

Default Re: Gear heads inside..

Quote:
I am going with at least a single turbo, but want to go twins. Mainly for bragging rights, you know how us car guys are. I know that if I end up with a single unit, I want to go with either a 70mm or 76mm T-4 unit. I'm not exactly a stranger to the turbo world, but I don't really understand the compressor maps. If someone on here understands them, please school me on them.
I would just go with a single 76mm, that'll take you were you want to go. Something like a .80ish AR should give you good street spool, although it may restrict you some up top, shouldn't be too bad though. The alternative would be something like .96 or 1.05 AR which might not spool until 4500-5000 or later.
Quote:
I also need some advice on tranny. I know that I am going to go manual route, and TKO makes about the best unit on the market. The question is, will I be better off with 5 gears(track) or 6 gears(road)? I know that with some companies, like Jerico, you can custom order your gear ratios, but again, not that much of a gear head.
If you're against going auto, I would get a g-force t-5. I'm not a big fan of the new TKO's.
Quote:
I am going to port the ever loving crap out of the heads, but for arguements sake, let's say I'm going with a stage 3 port job, with stage 3 cams. I will also be running a fully forged bottom end, main girdle, and so on. I fully expect to twist the rollers to the tune of about 650 or so
For this set up I would probably just save the $1000 on cams and put it someplace else. Plenty of cobra guys pushing 650+ to the wheels on stock cams. Also I think a main girdle is a complete waste of time on mod motors.
Sounds like a good starting plan. What are you planning on doing for suspension? Might as well go ahead a weld in the 10 point cage cause your gonna need it.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

I have a full build in mind for the suspension. A cage is a must, concidering that I want to run in True Street(or at all mind you). I am planning on a slightly narrowed 9" with a mini-tub out back. Coil overs, 4 link, and so on. The usual players at all four corners. However, I am going to go over the whole car and reinforce the unibody. The last thing I need is to spend all the time and money on a combo, and the car pretty much tear itself apart. I have thought about the G-force trannys, and will dig into that a little deeper.

I should have specified a few things first though. On the street, I plan on running only 650-ish. At the track, I would like to see another 100-150. I have thought about a NOS kit for it, and am not ruling it out. I'm just not a fan of NOS. So a tune, and turn the wick up on the boost and hey, 800 sounds good.

At first, I don't think I want to install the turbo. I think I would like to drive the car a few weeks NA. Mainly to feel the difference between a 350-400 car and a 650-700 car. I've had some pretty stout cars in the past, but this 600+ range is a first. I've driven a couple(read: 2) cars with just a shade over 600, but living with one is a different story. Especially a Mod motor Fox. This build will take a while, and am open to any suggestions. I can assure you that when I am done, and this beast hits the road, I will be filming every track event, car show, and what not.

Anyone in the Fayetteville, NC area that wants to drink some beer, eat some good food, and maybe earn some free parts(I have so many parts around here, it's not even funny) hit me up sometime. I'll post pics of the car when I pic it up. Later.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Got my Turbo in the other day.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Big mamma jamma!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t4-4.jpg (34.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
1989GT
Registered Member

What turbo did you end up going with/specs?

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

On my way to a christmas party, I'll post up when I get back. It's a Garrett T-4 76mm. Still don't have a compressor map for it, but I'll call the company and get it.